Glitchy signal similar times each night

lucky. I'm over 50 miles from most towers, and antenna is in attic, so it's a must for me. Works pretty well, though.

I would recommend trying the shields HDHomeRun app and see if it glitches out in that app. I had a similar problem as you and silicon dust sent me a custom firmware and it fixed it. Those changes have long since been added into their firmware though. I wonder if one of your 4 tuners is a little more sensitive than others. You can check what tuner is being used when the glitches happen and then try other tuners with the channel to see if it’s across the board. Good luck

Good thought.
I just tried that, and it affects all tuners, and the hdhr app.

Not all fans or electrical devices i hae tried affect it, just certain ones, but they are many, mostly all fans though.

O, and forget those Ferrite Core clamp on cord things...tried a few, on the power cords of offending fans, on the antenna coax, tuner power cord, ethernet, no change whatsoever. guess they don't work for this situation or are just a gimmick/snake oil.

Ok. so now i discover that one of my 2 massager wands(both same model), when it is on, it seriously causes interference with seemingly all OTA channels.
Pretty sure that was not a thing since i have had Channels and a OTA setup for couple years now and never noticed it.

Could this be an issue with firmware on the HDHR Quadro?
it has updated a few times since i bought it.
It currently has HDHomeRun 20210224

I have changed anything else, same antenna, cabling etc.
All connections are tight.

EDIT: I can not get logged into the Silicon Dust forms. the first time i try, ot always says Reached max attempts. Then password wrong, and capatcha thing. I try to reset password, never get the email. It has been this way for long time, and i have never gotten a response to my emails to them for help.

Sounds like electrical noise introduced by switching (using mechanical switches) inductive loads like motors on fans, pumps, vacuums, lamp ballasts, inductive heaters, etc. where the mechanical switch experiences arcing. The list could go on forever. Refrigerator, toaster, toaster oven, electric oven or range, pool pump, sump pump, A/C compressor...

Solid state switches using something like a triac wouldn't cause that.

Speedycheetah my suggestion was for the op since they are still trying to find the culprit. Yours seems to be a dirty power issue. You could try a power conditioner like a ss6b and that might fix your issues

You have the latest firmware, unless you want to try beta. https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=371893#p371893

Like i said, I already use a ISOBAR surge strip along with a nice UPS, so those both would provide clean power and filtering to the HDHR and my devices on their end.

It would not be possible to put all fans and devices that trigger this on a power conditioner. and since it does not matter what outlet things get plugged into, or through what, not sure it is anything to do with the powerline wires. Seems more like strong RF being broadcast into the air and the antenna is picking it up. maybe, not sure.

Either way, if it was a power line/dirty power issues, i would have had the issues since day one no? same fans, same devices for 2yrs now.

Was re-reading your posts....

Have you confirmed this by actually looking at the HDHR stats live when you live tv stream glitches out?

I posted a video in the new HDHR tuning beta thread, of what interference looks like to the HDHR and how it kills the signal.
U can install on a Windows computer, the HDHR Tech software to see live real time updating signal metrics.

I have noticed that very minor glitches in signal, are present in Live viewing, but recordings seem to be more resilient somehow, as I do not seem them in the playback. More major glitches do show up in recordings though.
None of this makes sense to me though, cause, the recordings should be a raw copy to a file of the HDHR data stream, so they should be the same.

Lol. Encase the HDHR in Faraday cage.
Well, if i could find something cheap, like a wrap or case or small box, on Amazon, that i can try putting the tuner in as a test, sure.
But all i see are these expensive gimicks rip offs of "Router protection" cages that claim to cut the "harmful radiation" that wifi produces, that should u use one, pretty much kills the wifi signal..
All the other stuff that may be Farady like, pouches, wraps, cases, just look so, fake, gimicky...not sure i want to waste $ money on them, like i did already for those stupid Ferite clamp on things.

Since i tried moving the tuner to closest to the antenna, and that had no effect, i don't think that the tuner module it self is picking up the interference, but the antenna it self and maybe the longish cable run. (~30ft) But i tried a short cable run, using a RG6 QS (Quad Shield) cable, no change.

I am using high quality cables everywhere i can.
Most cables are all Monoprice brand, who make good cables.
CAT6A STP

Grounding should not be an issue, All outlets are 3 prong and non of my surge strips or UPS complain about wiring issues.

nice thanks for the tip! i was not aware of that app! makes it a lot easier to test the signal strength w/out having to go in the garage attic w/ a laptop and usb tuner :). i'll try this out the next few nights by having this up to monitor while we watch live tv. of course the last 3 nights we've had no issues now too but gives me something to monitor. maybe not related but w/ my google wifi setup i had been using an onhub router as my main and just ordered a new nest wifi router to act as that main router (coming this week) just to see if it helps too since the onhub was getting a bit old. at least right now all my main channels show 100% across the board ...every now and again will drop to 98% for a second). image

The only other thought I had was do you have locast set up on the server? I just set up my secondary server so that it uses locast to record instead of OTA (locast higher priority on the server, lower on the client) so that when my mother watches TV it's using the antenna but when recording it's using the internet provided locast stream.

There is also an iOS app called Signal GH which makes this even more portable. I find it very helpful for things like this.

1 Like

awesome thanks for the tip! i couldnt find that for android but found an old apk for hdhomerun signal meter that seems to work just like the Tech app. so we're on a good run the past week w/ no hiccups which is always fun to troubleshoot when an issue is inconsistent right :). on a related note i have a nest wifi router arriving tomorrow to replace our existing older onhub router for our mesh setup to hopefully add some stability so we'll see! really hoping its all a network issue because we've tried alot of other dvr options and this one is easily the best

1 Like

quick update here since its been a little bit since i reported back. In an attempt to isolate if this was a client/network/app issue i swapped the Onhub router in my google wifi network (to get it up to date). that actually introduced more issues so I sent that back and factory reset my entire Google wifi network (3 points and the onhub) and adjusted the positioning a little bit and so far we're on a couple of weeks w/ no issues so maybe i'm in better shape now. i'll keep an eye on things but thanks for everyones input and help here!

2 Likes

So its a wifi issue. You could make it 100% reliable if you could find a way to run ethernet.

i definitely would if i could but the location of the tv not an option.......i actually do HAVE the shield hardwired into the WiFi point thats near it but that point still has a wireless backhaul to the rest of the network

Have you considered moca or power line Ethernet adapters? Those can be good options if running Ethernet is not an option.

I did my own drops and have ethernet behind each of 5 wall-mounted TVs. I even have outdoor runs to get to some locations. It is definitely an option if you can do a run less than 300ft. If more than that, you can still do it, it just requires another switch. But, yes, doing all in-wall drops takes about 2 days to get perfect, especially if you have to make a few holes that need patching and painting.

But there are also simple ways to elegantly hide a wire without going into the wall, such as wiremold cable runways. Or you can hide it at the edge of the wall and carpet to get where you are going. Or along the trim panels at the top and bottom of most walls that are painted drywall.

I'm not saying you need to do this. Probably when you reset your wifi, it found a better channel which may continue to work for awhile. I'm just saying that running cable is an option, its just a tradeoff where you have to put in a little bit more setup time for a superior connection. Its also the cheapest option if you do it yourself. More expensive if you pay someone to do it for you. @Macnbaish mentioned moca and powerline, which would require less setup, but have the upfront cost of the adapters. This would be a quick solution, though, if your interference issues return.

Here's a suggestion I haven't seen yet.... Have you tried hooking up your HDHR right at the location of the antenna? That is to say, instead of Antenna -> Long COAX -> HDHR -> Short Ethernet -> Router you could do Antenna -> Short COAX -> HDHR -> Long Ethernet -> Router. So you're using Ethernet for the long run rather than the COAX.