Google Chromecast HD - regular output frame dropping

Try changing your advanced video coding setting to hardware and turning off surround sound. These two changes actually fixed almost all of my issues.

My 720p60 channel is choppy too when playing back in Channels. The 1080 ones are fine.

Already set to Hardware decoding (the channel plays in slow-motion otherwise). And Surround Sound setting has no effect.

BTW, the Channels app on my phone (Pixel 6a) plays the channel fine.

1 Like

I think the HD model is too slow for 60fps for some reason. The 4K one seems to do better.

It's the 4k model that I have that is having issues.

2 Likes

Does it play correctly in the official HDHomeRun app?

Yes, the live channel plays smoothly on the HDHR app on the same CCwGTV 4k.

2 Likes

Same problem here. Choppy with the Channels app with my onn 4K Streaming Box, Tivo Stream 4K, and Fire TV's, however smooth with the HDHR app on same devices.

Side note: Audio is much louder with the HDHR app compared to Channels app on same ATSC3 stations. Volume matches the ATSC1 stations instead of being way less in volume. Wish this could also be fixed!

1 Like

Did anyone ever get a fix for this issue. I appear to be having the same problem with my Chromecast.

Unfortunately I recommend disabling ATSC3 channels for now. It's a total dumpster fire!

From Nick ... Notice no Google Chrome

If you specifically want built in AC4 support the current list is:
Roku Ultra 4800X
Roku TVs (modern)
LG TVs 2019+
Fire TV Edition TVs (modern)
Fire TV Cube (3rd gen)
Fire TV Stick 4K (new 2023 model)
Fire TV Stick 4K Max (new 2023 model)
Mecool KM2 Plus
Mi 4K stick (latest)
Many Android phones and tablets.

(also some HiSense and TCL TVs running Android have AC4 support but it is broken).

Edit - Added 2023 Fire TV products

Using HDHomerun App

Apple TV 4K works, utilizing our cloud transcode service.
Chromecast 4K works, utilizing our cloud transcode service.

Has this been figured out? I was looking into buying a 1080p Chrome-cast for our small TV in the motorhome bedroom for this years summer trip. From what I read in this thread the 4k one has similar issues as the 1080 one. Thanks, Bill

Nothing wrong with the Chrome just with ATSC 3.0 AC4 audio but ATSC 3.0 is not even worth worrying about at the moment. I disabled all ATSC 3.0 Channels.

2 Likes

Oh Thanks. I am putting off ATSC 3 for as long as I can. I am not even sure any of the stations in my city have made the switch yet. -Bill

1 Like