Harmony Companion Remote, ATV and Channels

I wasn’t sure where to put this, so feel free to move :slight_smile:

My wife is NOT a fan of the ATV 4K Siri remote. I have a Harmony Hub and the Harmony Companion remote that we used with layer3, and I have it set up with ATV (using the latest profile in Harmony) and it is sort-of working. Here is what I am able to do (besides volume, which works fine)…

When I use the dedicated rewind button or the left arrow, and press momentarily it skips back, and when I hold either one it rewinds continuously, but the dedicate FF button or the right arrow always does a skip forward, even if I hold it.

Is this as expected or is there something that I need to change?

Thanks!

IIRC the tvOS media remote hooks only tell us when a key is pressed and we cannot detect press-and-hold.

See Expanded Media Keys for IR Remotes

So how are folks rewinding and forwarding for either recordings or live TV? My understand of ATV is that holding the right or left side of the touch area is used to do that. Or, pause and swipe, which is less desirable.

Also, the post that you linked shows…

And it shows that holding the FF/RWD keys is required. RWD is working, but FF is not.

Also, that post separates the FF/RWD and Skip keys. I’m not sure that my remote has those separated. Maybe I’m using the wrong keys?

Did you try learning the keys on the Apple TV as outlined in that post?

I’m having some issues fast-forwarding reliably on the Siri remote too, so it’s possible there’s a bug. I’ll have a chance to look further next week.

1 Like

OK. If it helps, I get the same result with the Harmony remote, the Samsung remote from our TV and the Siri remote.

Good day! Any update on this?

We’ve released v3.1.8 to the App Store with a fix for this issue.

Thanks! I’ll update in the morning and test it out!

I tried this with the updated app and the original Apple TV Siri’s remote, our harmony remote and our Samsung TV remote that works with Apple TV and the behavior is the same as before. When I hold down the right side the the Sirir remote track pad, or hold down the right arrow on the other remotes I get a 30 second skip, pause and sometimes another 30 second skip, not a continuous fast forward. Doing the same thing on the left side of the Sirir remote pad or the left arrow on the others produces a continuous rewind.

I have the same issue with both the ATV remote and a Harmony One remote I just set up. Left is continuous rewind, right is halting FF, skip, pause, etc. Every once in a while could get a continuous FF.

The app shows 3,1,8 when I look at the settings in the Channels app on my Apple TV

I’ve uploaded a new TestFlight beta build with a fix for the fast-fowarding issue. Please try it out and let me know if it fixes the problem.

Is it accessible through the App Store? Or how do I get it?

Check your email for an invite from Apple

Yeah, I saw it after I replied :slight_smile:

I just installed the beta code and tested it with the Siri remote, Harmony Remote and the Samsung remote and it looks like it works as expected. Smooth and continuous fast forward.

I’ll do some further testing, but it looks good.

Thanks!

1 Like

I was able to install the beta as well and it does look like the fast forwarding is working correctly on both my Siri remote as well as my Harmony One.

1 Like

Could I try this build as well please?
Have encountered same issue …

StephenH

1 Like

Which Harmony Remote are you all using/suggest?

I have a Harmony One, which is many years old but thankfully is still working well.