HdHomerun ATSC 3.0

Is th HD Homerun ATSC 3.0 tuners now fully supported. I need to get a new tuner, but do not wnat to buy it if its not working yet thanks

The current Flex models (atsc3.0) tuners have been supported pretty much since their launch years ago. They are hybrid devices, having both 3.0 and 1.0 tuners.

3.0 networks availability varies of course. Some areas have converted their 3.0 stations to use DRM, which is not compatible with channels.

thank you, I suspected that but wanted to be clear. Have a great day!

SiliconDust also does not support DRM yet but it sounds like they are getting close.

Will Channels ever be able to support DRM? Is it going to become obsolete after every channel switches to it?

No. And that it has nothing to do with Channels supporting it far as i know.
Silicon Dust, the makers of the HDHR tuners, they have to pay to get support in their firmware to decode it first. So, SD apps and software can view and record(if they have the separate rights to record a broadcast/program) .

I think also, that Channels DVR would also then have to obtain the same rights and permission and add that into their software. That cost a crap ton of $ no doubt, and unlikely they would even be allowed in.

(This is how i understand it... anyone more knowledgeable in this can chime in and elaborate or correct me)

1 Like

Channels could be acquired by one of the players in the DRM industry. I would be surprised if they have not been approached already. Well, it was a tough decision but we really did not have a choice :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.