HDHomeRun new 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner

Thanks for posting pics. How was the quality on the Ohio State game compared to ATSC 1?

No difference. Still HD

Gotcha. Some of my stations are over compressed due to multicasting. My local Fox station is a good example. I watch using the FOX app because quality is night and day.

FOX app is amazing on 4K broadcasting. World Series quality was breathtaking

1 Like

Agreed. It's not even true 4K yet unless they changed something from last press release.

The channels play Great using EMBY on my Samsung Tab 4. Quality is outstanding. Using Exoplayer.

Playing on Channels on the same device the Video is great the sound is MONO getting only left side... also get pauses.

I see why my Samsung devices play sound ... thanks to a forum member for pointing this out ....

I'm in the Vegas area too! Henderson specifically. Keep us updated if the 4k channels become available. If they do I may be investing in a 4k tuner myself! Are they broadcasting these from the same mountain tower in Henderson where most of the antennas are? And are they any better quality in HD HEVC from the normal broadcasts?

Broadcasting are from the same antenna. I dont see any noticeable difference. Sharing images for comparison. Top Image ATSC 3. Bottom Image ATSC1

2 Likes

I have yet to receive a true 4K broadcast even though I also get all my main broadcast channels in ASTC 3,0 the quality is no different. I have dropped the tuner to the bottom of the priority.

1080I and &720P is all we get.

1 Like

Thanks for posting pics!

1 Like

I don't think any broadcaster is expected to begin broadcasting 4K any time soon other than Idaho, but that's not a free channel. It could be years.

2 Likes

The latest beta versions of the Channels App/Server along with the most recent tuner firmware are working fairly well. The main issue I'm seeing with the broadcasts in the SLC market is 3 of the 4 ATSC 3.0 channels appear to be 1080i. The only way to view them is to go into Playback > Advanced and change Deinterlacing mode to Blend. Then if you want the correct aspect ratio, enable Stretch Video to Fit. When you show stats the native resolution is 1920x540. It looks like this might be an app issue and not a tuner firmware issue? The reason I say that is the HDHomeRun app had the same issue prior to the latest version, where it's now resolved.

Can you email us a sample capture for one of those channels?

Sent. Hopefully I did the capture correctly. If not, let me know.

I will echo what kcosby has said about getting a channel to display correctly. I am not sure his market but here in Nashville we have a station with native resolution of 1920x540 as well and I have to make same changes to have it display correctly. I also am using the HDHomeRun Quatro 4K as tuner.

What device are you both using for playback?

Apple TV 4K using latest Channels app (v4.3.0) . Changed deinterlace setting and stretch and local ATSC3 stream here (5.1) looks nice now. Without the change, I would hear audio but the screen was solid blue.

Apple TV 4K, iPad Pro, iPhone 11. I also have a Fire TV Stick 4K, but haven't tried it on there.

Today I saw a big improvement in quality on CBS feed in Las Vegas on the premiere of NCIS New Orleans. Quality match CBS All Access subscription. But once is recorded the app doesn’t display the Closed Caption and the server doesn’t detect TV commercials on the HEVC streaming

1 Like

Sorry if this has been addressed previously, but I read through this thread and didn't see anything specific - Does Channels support AC4 audio on all platforms via software, or is it hardware dependent? I run my DVR server on a Raspberry Pi 4, and use the client app on my Apple TV 4k, as well as various iPhones and an 8th Generation iPad. I'm totally aware that we are all basically beta testers at this point, but I just want to make sure my devices will at least support audio before I drop $200 on the new ATSC 3.0 tuner.