HDHomeRun new 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner

I am waiting for the next version. The current model only has 2 ATSC 3.0 tuners. I will wait until they release one with 4 ATSC 3.0 tuners. Plus the fact that the NYC broadcast area has not yet upgraded. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Thats wise. Tablo is releasing a 4 tuner 3.0 version. I'd imagine if Tablo is doing 4 hybrid, SD should not be far behind.

Except Tablo's 3.0 tuners will only be available to the TV they are physically attached to. Tablo will not allow for streaming of 3.0 streams to other clients, neither remotely nor locally within the same home network.

Correct. I am a Tablo refugee and am also wanting the SD 4 Tuner model when it comes out.

1 Like

I just made the purchase "SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex 4K ATSC 3.0 NextGen TV: 2/4 Tuners HDFX-4K", what has been people's experience using it with Channels DVR. Which is what I plan to do.

I purchased two of the HDHR Flex with the 2/4 tuners about 3 months ago. I wanted to test the ATSC 3.0 channels, but in the Dallas area the one and only transmitter is almost never running. Anyway, since there is no 4K programming available, I don't currently see any benefit. I was hoping we might get some Olympics in 4K OTA or even the Superbowl, but we might be some time away from OTA 4K programming. The tuners do work great on ATSC 1.0 with the Channels s/w. I consider it the best TV experience I have ever used. Can't say enough good things about the Channels s/w.

Thanks for the feedback. The device should arrive today at some point. I do know in the Tampa market, ATSC 3.0 has been turned on for most of our major networks. Not sure if anything has changed. Do 1.0 and 3.0 show up as different channels on the guide? I would assume if both 3.0 tuners are in use, then it will default anything else to the 1.0? Not all the sure on how that works yet. If it arrives today, I'll set it up and experiment. Any feedback you have is always welcomed. I am currently using TiVo Bolt for my OTA channels but want to do away with that at some point and just use channels like I do now with TVE channels.

ATSC 3.0 channels will show as 1xx.1 where xx is the local station number (not the RF frequency). Channel 5.1 where I live shows as 105.1 for example.

As far as expecting 4K broadcasts, in my opinion, it will be years simply because of the cost. The entire "Nextgen TV" thing is in an alpha state as I see it, not even near beta. It should've been a crime for them to use a proprietary audio codec.

1 Like

Thank you for the info. I am not expecting a lot of 4K content at all. My main goal by buying this is to bring all my TV recording into the Channels platform. I already use it for TVE channels, now I can get more of my local channels that TVE does not support, like the CW or PBS and the sub channels. Again, I appreciate the feedback.

Stumbled upon this tidbit while researching the current state of AC-4 support.

Apparently, this Windows-only tool has compiled a version of FFMPEG that supports AC-4 decoding. Strange how the native version of FFMPEG is unable to decode AC-4 but this guy found a way to compile and deploy a custom version of FFMPEG with AC-4 support.

Now to decide whether I want to bother setting up another conversion system using this tool for AC-4 decoding... Or maybe I'll just sell my Kickstarter Tuner and call it a day.

Don't understand why we don't have a system codec for AC-4 yet. Actually, I suspect it will end up being money, but I bet many of us are willing to pay.

What's Dolby's angle here? Even finding a way to get sound on VLC is a PITA.

No we are not willing to pay.

1 Like

How do you know?

BTW, the HEVC codec on the Microsoft Store is 99 cents.

Okay, I'll pay .99 but am on a Mac if I can edit AC4. :slight_smile:

1 Like