HDHR tuners refuse to be ignored

Would be one hell of a lot easier if the devs could just put in an "ignore this IP" or "ignore this device" feature!

or disable autodiscovery like we have under experimental features for Tablo. Autodiscovery uses UDP, so blocking UDP from HDHR IP should work after making sure the DVR server forgets about the device.

You cannot disable auto-discovery. On the HDHR side, there is no option in the firmware. On the Channels side, that is something that is not currently available.

As I've said previously the only real option is to ensure that the broadcast discovery packets do not reach the DVR, either by network segmentation or by blocking the broadcast port with your network's firewall.

Firewall

If you need to configure a port-based firewall:
(not required for Windows Firewall)

Discovery

Allow incoming UDP port 65001 - required for HDHomeRun discovery and for clients to discover the record engine.

I guess blocking Ports 65000-65001 will also prevent HDHomeRun APP/DVR ?

I guess I can try Blocking it on the DVR Server/IP only

Drat, looks like I mis-stated since I was working from memory. Seeing as how that info seems to come from SD's wiki, the port is actually 65001.

(I've edited my previous posts to correct my error. The proper port is 65001/U.)

No big deal I am going to play with this in the Morning I browsed my ASUS router and found where to block the port from 1 IP Address or Multiple.

I'm just wondering if this might be an answer for those, like me, whose router isn't sophisticated enough to do the port blocking.

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/iptables-block-port/

Looks like you should be able to use iptables to set a block for UDP 65001 directly on the linux Channels server instance. Will give it a try later and report back.

Eureka! (I think)

So through an SSH terminal to my Raspi OEM server instance I entered

iptables -I INPUT -p udp –dport 65001 -j DROP
iptables-save

you can then check this has worked by entering

iptables -L -n -v | grep -i DROP

which gives you a list of dropped ports. Mine just gave a single line with UDP 65001 in it.

Then I deleted the HDHR tuner(s) devices from Channels with the command(s)

curl -XDELETE http://"IP of Server":8089/devices/"Devicename"

Replace "IP of server" with your server IP obviously and "Devicename" with the HDRH device you want to delete. This is typically something like 1260B381, as displayed on the Channels sources page or the WebUI of the HDHR itself.

The tuners have now disappeared from the sources list and (so far) haven't returned.

Most importantly all my channel names are now correct, so it was 100% the zombie HDHR tuners that were overriding the names.

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tuners have come back!

@tmm1 Any ideas what the hell we need to do the stop the damn things?!!!

the rule to use is (to block incoming packets)

iptables -t raw -I PREROUTING -p udp --sport 65001 -j DROP

Edit:

alternatively (to block outgoing packets)

iptables -t raw -I OUTPUT -p udp --dport 65001 -j DROP

Thanks for that. I have just now tried that too, but have discovered since my first attempt, that neither change to iptables is successfully blocking port 65001.

If I enter the following command on another Linux machine on the same network it connects to port 65001 with no problem unfortunately.

nc -zvu 192.168.1.8 65001
Connection to 192.168.1.8 65001 port [udp/*] succeeded.

The message from nc is bogus. Just restart the CDVR. The HDHR tuners will be gone.

They certainly have. Thanks so much for the pointer.

Last time I deleted them manually with the curl commands after the first iptables command, and they then came back.

But as you said, after using your iptables command a restart was enough to get rid of them this time. Hopefully they will stay away!

I blocked the Port 65001 on Windows but it also blocked the discovery of the DVR ... had to type the IP ... What I proceeded to do was block the channelsDVR program only from using that port.

Just an FYI
Blocking the full port on windows also killed my HDHR DVR and other programs that use that port.

This is one of my major annoyances now with Channels DVR since my servers have to run host mode networking in docker containers. Wasn't an issue when they ran with bridge mode network.

I do not want my HDHR Prime showing up in all my containers and my Synology package install.
I only have one server using it as a source. I do not want to create firewall rules for each docker container and another for the Synology Package install.

Please create a Channels DVR option to ignore/block, un-ignore/un-block HDHR tuners.

Is that why when I created a Docker Container in bridge mode when I try to connect to it using 192.168.50.68:8085 it would not connect ?

The clients all still find the tuners, but directly rather than via the Channels server and it doesn't seem to effect the channel numbers like they do on the server. I'd still prefer an option to ignore them completely on the clients too.

Yeah and the Clients do not tuner Share they just use up tuners. They also seem to ignore tuner priority ...I am going to restore access to 65001 ... causes too many issues.

I have all channels disabled on all tuners and all tuners disabled on all clients. The clients all just use the Custom Sources I created that link directly to the tuners, in my preferred channel numbering, via M3U. As far as I can tell the tuners themselves also being on the source list for every client isn't causing a problem other than a slight annoyance of having them always there unnecessarily.

You are right since I have the M3U already setup disabling the HDHomeRun Channels does not affect being able to tune them. But of course, disabling them in ChannelsDVR also disables them from the webpage and no other apps can us the tuners.