HDMI for Channels

If you access one of your Chromecast devices, do you see the premium channels you're subscribed to show-up in the Google TV "Live TV" guide?

Looks like just the free stuff google is pushing. I have to open the Prime app to get the premium stuff.

If I need a FireTV in order for this to work, I will just order one. No Biggie.

I've only been testing with Starz so far, but I'll try one or two of your other services to confirm this approach works for them too.

In the meantime, I'd say go ahead and order a FireStick 4K Max as they're on sale atm for $27, and you can even trade-in various older devices for another 20% off.

Ordered

Is the FireTV required for this to work for DirecTV Stream?

I'm interested in finding a way to get my paid YTTV Sunday Ticket video into Channels. It doesn't seem like their will be an option like EPlus or similar for Sunday Ticket and it appears using an hdmi encoder is going to be the best way to accomplish this. Does anyone have this running yet? I've done a ton of work to get just about every other sports source that I can't get from a HDHomerun Prime with Xfinity into channels so I can use Tivimate to do multiview so I'm hoping I can get Sunday Ticket done.

Being discussed here:

1 Like

@Anvil_DVR

Well -- testing with MGM+ and Cinemax was disappointing, as there just doesn't seem to be any way to search for channels from either provider in the Live TV Guide. Starz on the other hand, is searchable and tunable from that search. Seems a bit weird, but that's what we're dealing with.

It's easy enough to tune a small list of LIve TV "favorite" channels, but to do this reliably takes about 1 second per move through the guide -- so after moving through 20-30 favorites, we're probably getting too slow. Overall, I think it's probably a bust, as you have a lot of premium channels.

You'd be better off I would think adding these premium channels to whatever streaming service you decide to use as your go-to. DTVStream would be one option, but I think most have these same premium channels available.

Ok, well thanks for looking into this.
I have considered alternatives. There are distinct advantages with Prime though.
I don't normally carry these many premiums, they just sort of piled up.
One interesting thing, I have HBO streaming from prime into the encoder for days now.
I'm surprised they don't shut it off after a period of time, or at least prompt to see if you are still watching.

1 Like

Has anybody found a way to make Fubo launch to a specific channel on android / fire stick?

I'm not a Fubo user (yet?) so I can't answer for their app. However, I suspect someone with the approriate Javascript skills could do so in a webview app similar to the Spectrum one I mentioned earlier.

Yes, Fubo supports deep links.

1 Like

Iv seen the deeplinks for apple TV, however these dont work on android. Can anyone share an example for android?

2 Likes

Both this ah4c extension and the ADBTuner extension have support for Fubo on Android devices. There's more to it than just knowing the deep link, but here's the basic structure:

$adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.VIEW -d https://link.fubo.tv/al1%3Fv%3D1%26a%3Dplay%26t%3Dchannel%26channel_id%3D$channelID

The $channelID at the end would be replaced with the actual Channel ID.

3 Likes

Probably not, but it's only been tested on FireStick 4K Max devices so far. There could easily be some minor differences.

Are you able to share an example of a command used to tune to a channel in fubo?

I use ADB Tuner for Fubo

1 Like

Thanks heaps

No problem.
Lots of discussion about this over in the ADB tuner topic.

1 Like

Sounds like DirecTV and Stream will be getting new UI's
For better or worse....

1 Like

@Anvil_DVR

I've had something of a breakthrough with the Amazon Prime premium channels, as I figured out a way to identify the channel we're on in the Live TV guide.

That combined with being able to move in either direction through the guide (since it loops back to the beginning from the end or vice versa), and suddenly 40-60+ premium channels can be tuned in a reasonable amount of time.

There are a few caveats:

• FireSticks only, with the 4K Max recommended
  • All sources other than Amazon Prime should be hidden in the Live TV guide (using "Manage Channels")
  • Channels you're not likely to watch should also be hidden within Amazon Prime channels

...and, I think that's it. This approach looks like it's going to work well for me -- how does it seem to you?

1 Like