HDMI for Channels

I scored mine on ebay. They don't have stock left, unfortunately.

Well Amazon has 3 left... of course it costs $578 USD.

Magewell Pro Capture Dual HDMI Video Capture Card

Look closely at buying options. There is one for $245 (Used-like new)

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=magewell+2&page=2&crid=T9W90FUJ7XCV&qid=1689118377&sprefix=magewell+2%2Caps%2C143&ref=sr_pg_2

Totally worth 250 IMO if you can score one! It's been absolutely flawless.

EDIT: just keep in mind you will need a decent GPU for re-encoding. The device outputs raw by default which I was not able to ingest into Channels. Going to look at the SDK to see if the device output can be changed to mpeg2 by default and bypass ffmpeg.

For those using Fire devices to capture from there is a "Still Watching Setting" that needs to be turned off under Preferences > Data Usage Monitoring ... I was recording a marathon and the Screen went blank after hours of recording.

3 Likes

Do any of these ADB commands fix that?

adb -s %device% shell settings put global window_animation_scale 0
adb -s %device% shell settings put global transition_animation_scale 0
adb -s %device% shell settings put global animator_duration_scale 0
adb -s %device% shell settings put secure sleep_timeout 0
adb -s %device% shell settings put system screen_off_timeout 2147460000

If not, do you happened do know the adb command so I can add it to my pre-configuration script.

I had used your maintenance script previously on both my Fire devices, and I just went into Data Usage Monitoring, and both my Fire devices were still set to turn off after 4 hours if there's been no input from the remote.

1 Like

No they won't and I do not know the ADB command ... changed it manually.

And that fully takes care of the "are you still watching problem"? Is there an equivalent for other devices like shield and one?

That setting is on the fireOS level, I am pretty sure the liveTV streaming apps (Hulu Live, YTTV, etc.) have their own timeouts that are managed seperately.

Is anyone seeing random recordings that have a really long incorrect length, like 1,300 minutes? They're still somewhat playable but usually end up not working during playback.

I've seen two in the last week and I wonder if it has something to do with how the stream is being transferred from the device.

This is from a Uraytech HD encoder, firmware version is 2.06 using TS stream.

When I was using HDMI for Channels, I was constantly getting recordings that were too long or short - they were fixable by doing the "Fix Video Timestamps" operation manually when the recording was complete - now that I have moved over to the ADBTuner method, the recordings do not exhibit this problem - I think it has to do with the fact that there is a transition in resolution/frame rate when you see the no signal screen, then the splash screen, then finally the show - with ADBTuner, for some reason (faster tuning and the fact that the YTTV app does not exit) this doesn't happen

Tuning across network tuners, MacOS and also Linux with Magewell have not seen that. What is your setup?

2 Likes

What they should do is create a way to tune using the HDHomeRun APP and capture VIA HDMI built into channels DVR... I already do this using NEXTPVR backend in Channels. I already capture HBO and Showtime using the HDHomerun APP to HDMI.

1 Like

Think that’s a little harsh mate.

They provide a lot more support than any of their competitors from my experience and are genuinely willing to take on community ideas.

DRM is not being even thought about in any other community - but channels has Streamlinks, HDMI for channels and Chrome Capture for channels.

These are all not plug and play integrations, they really shouldn’t be expected to walk everyone through their setups - especially since there is such variation for each person

Edit: also would much rather have the option to trial these experimental/beta projects now than wait until they’re foolproof

1 Like

Sorry to hear that even though I never delved into this and never used HDMI to Channels or chrome capture ... I did learn a lot from your posts. It appears they just threw this stuff together to appease those that lost TVE Channels but no real guidance.

1 Like

You've done a tremendous amount for the community here, your efforts are appreciated, and I can fully understand your frustrations. Even as the writer of lowly, "non-async Python contender." lol

At the end of the day, we are using non-supported tools to automate applications that aren't specifically meant to be automated and doing so for a platform that doesn't really support what we are trying to accomplish. It's hacks on top of hacks on top of hacks and an audience that expects it to always work as well as a cable box. But being honest, it's never going to work that well, it's just not and that's ok.

You've built something here that solves a real problem, and unlike the app that I built, provides a platform that can support advanced hardware and can be used to by the hackers and the tinkerers to do things we haven't even thought of yet via custom scripts.

I hope you will reconsider and continue working on this at your own pace.

6 Likes

I’m sorry to hear this. Your repo helped people, including those who didn’t use it directly. It is projects like this one that make this community stand out. I had so much trouble getting my setup working using the original method that I was afraid to try again using your repo, but I did keep an eye on it for a setup that matched mine (Fire Stick - YouTube TV). Whether you reconsider or not, thank you for your work on it.

Regarding the level of support, I can’t comment on Discord, which I always found to be. a very inefficient platform, but as a relative newbie to Channels, I’ve been pretty impressed to see the developers on these forums regularly.

3 Likes

A little harsh, may I offer a suggestion?

1. take a breath. You’ve pushed the envelope for a while on this. Breaks help.

2). Summers are usually slower for release cadence and fixes, but loooong gaps between major betas and whatnot usually spell something big coming. Wait it out.

2 Likes

I know from experience that writing software is a creative process, it is not like turning out machine tools. If the process is making you happy, you can turn out twice as much as you can when you feel that it is just a job you have to do to earn a living.

In order to be happy writing software, you have to work on the things that interest you most, occasionally balanced by the demands of your job. Telling a developer that they need to spend their time on something that makes you happy is absurd unless you are the one who is responsible for putting food on their table.

I am not always happy with the priorities chosen by the developers (Download to Android), but I know that these guys are doing more for their customers than any other commercial product I have ever seen.

It sounds like you should have done what I'm doing. Sit on the sidelines, follow the discussion and wait however many months it takes for the best solution to emerge.

4 Likes