HDMI for Channels

Good sleuthing!

Try:

sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine filename

Edit: might as well run:

sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine *.*

Thanks! Yea, I ran:

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine path/to/my/file.sh

That took care of the error. Now it can't find my streaming device, but I'm pretty sure because I didn't allow it in the USB debugging section of the streaming stick's settings. That will have to wait until tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

sulrich is right. If your androidhdmi for challes folder is in your user folder as indicated above, the problem arises from the "sudo cp". The created file would belong to root and not to you. Go to the folder and delete all the ones you have created. Redo them without the sudo,.

Responded to the wrong person. My bad.\

I see you solved it. Enjoy

2 Likes

Iā€™ve toggled on the general ā€œallow USB debuggingā€ setting, but I canā€™t remember with my first tuner how I got the prompt to come up to allow the machine with the Channels server. When I play a channel on the second tuner, I get a ā€œnot foundā€ message, which I think is related to not allowing USB debugging for that machine, because Iā€™ve never done it for that machine. But I never get a prompt (viewing it through the VLC client) to allow USB debugging for the server machine. Does anyone remember how you got the ā€œallowā€ prompt to come up?

:point_down:

If not, try adb connect x.x.x.x

Any recommendations for 4k50 for bitrate?

Was running it at 60,000 for a while and vbr would let it get up to 90,000 at the most

Changed it to 30,000 to see how it goes and seems okay

Any thoughts? Also did anyone know or have advice on the GOP setting?

@tmm1 does having a bitrate too excessive for what youā€™re streaming effect how channels transcoder will work? Am I losing quality on remote transcodes by allowing the stream to have as much bitrate as it wants?

What encoder are you using?

1 Like

Similar to this one expect without hdmi pass through

Only one I could find really that did 4k50

Have to have it set to 8bit 4:2:0 otherwise it seems to get choppy but donā€™t think that matters much for TV use - or so Iā€™ve read

Have it set to H265 aswell

Hopefully can get an encoder like this in a few years for what you get the 1080p ones for!

I'm starting to think Ethernet isn't possible on these new .onn devices. I found a post in another forum which talked about selecting ā€œRNDS (USB Ethernet)ā€ under ā€œselect USB configurationā€ in the developer options, and then rebooting for the change to take effect and Ethernet to work. I did that, and rebooting reset the "select USB configuration" setting back to default.

It's a shame, given the affordability of these streamers, and the fact that if you start using several of them with HDMI encoders, your risk of interference goes up.

1 Like

Iā€™m using mine wirelessly with no issue (knock on wood.) FWIW the CCwGTv dongle has an approved adapter for Ethernet if that is your priority:

I have been experiencing a lot of out of sync. A/V with the URaycoder box and the Onn TV 4K. I may have discovered something that I wanted to pass on: If you don't allow the Onn box to go to sleep, then the encoder is always encoding, regardless of whether or not it is being watched. I believe that in this case, after some period of time, the A/V gets out of sync. If the box goes to sleep, however, then the encoder has no signal, and displays a "no signal" test pattern-like message. In this case, then you have to wake up the box, and it seems to be far more likely to have A/V in sync.
Also, if the A/V is out of sync, you can go to the web page for the encoder and change a setting and click "apply" and then the A/V re-syncs. (An encoder reboot messes up the stream). So, the point of all of this is that I believe it is important to perform all of the steps in the pre-tuning and post tuning scripts, per the example, and to change the streamer box settings such that it can go to sleep. Here are my updated pre-tune and post-tune .bat files.

prebmitune.bat
@echo off
set IPADDR="192.168.2.43"
set WAKE="input keyevent KEYCODE_WAKEUP"
set HOME="input keyevent KEYCODE_HOME"

c:\platform-tools\adb connect %IPADDR%
c:\platform-tools\adb shell %WAKE%
c:\platform-tools\adb shell %HOME%; sleep 2

stopbmitune.bat
@echo off
set STOP="am force-stop com.google.android.youtube.tvunplugged; sleep 2"
c:\platform-tools\adb shell %STOP%
c:\platform-tools\adb shell input keyevent KEYCODE_SLEEP

It works. I have a spare Cable Matters OTG Gigabit Ethernet adapter ($18.99 on Amazon). I plugged it to my 2nd Onn box using its Y cable and the Onn box indicated "Ethernet Connected" in settings - I couldn't seem to find where it displays the mac and IP address - but it disappeared from my UDM-Pro router list of wireless clients and a new wired client appeared. EDIT: I found the IP address and confirmed this is indeed the OTG adapter - it's working.

I started streaming and the new wired client bit rate was consistent with watching video. Also, a while back, I saw a LonTV yt video where he reviewed the Onn box and said that it works with the SMays adapter (also on Amazon). In any event, wireless operation of the Onn box that I am using for HDMI capture seems flawless as far as the streaming goes, so I haven't had the need to try wired.

Hmm, thanks. I must be doing something wrong, because I have that Smays adapter and it works with my Fire Stick, but not with the 2023 onn box. Iā€™ll have to dig some more.

1 Like

Which Onn box? First gen or new version?
The Wifi on the first gen 4k box is very fast compared to the Firestick 4k.

I have two of the new Onn 4K TV boxes

This one?

https://a.co/d/2oIYagp

Thatā€™s it - I bought them initially for fire sticks

1 Like

Thanks again for these, can you also share the est vs. pst station id's for SyFy and MTV Classic please?

You can get a list of all the IDS from this endpoint: http://X.X.X.X:8089/dvr/guide/stations

Where did you buy this encoder?