HDMI for Channels

Awesome, thank you!!

• Is the xx.xx.xx.xx:8123 just the IP and port for each tuner?
  • Is there other code somewhere I'm not aware of that I need to modify to make this work?

Thanks again

1. That is the ip address of Home Assistant, the target of the CURL.
  2. The only other necessary modification is to the go program AH4C to specify the information for each encoder.
var (
	tunerLock sync.Mutex

tuners = []tuner{
		{
			url:   "http://xx.xx.xx.xx/0.ts",
			pre:   "/[path]/prebmitune0.sh",
			start: "/[path]/bmitune0.sh",
			stop:  "/[path]/stopbmitune0.sh",
		},
		{
			url:   "http://xx.xx.xx.xx/0.ts",
			pre:   "/[path]/prebmitune1.sh",
			start: "/[path]/bmitune1.sh",
			stop:  "/[path]/stopbmitune1.sh",
		},
		{
			url:   "http://xx.xx.xx.xx/live/stream0",
			pre:   "/[path]/prebmitune2.sh",
			start: "/[path]/bmitune2.sh",
			stop:  "/[path]/stopbmitune2.sh",
		},
	}
)

@arwrite This looks to me to be a snippet from the original androidhdmi-for-channels project. Youā€™ll need to use the sullrich/ah4c fork to get the Magewell support youā€™re after.

1 Like

I am not familiar with Docker but as long you can get /dev/videoX passing into the Docker container it should work great with ffmpeg.

1 Like

Any luck trying to do it by phone - > HDMI out?

I could try it with my laptop usb c dock that has an HDMI out from my pixel, but I don't have an encoder to connect it to channels. I guess it would let me see if I could output from an adroid phone instead of an android tv device.

I'm using TVE login to access TV through a cable providers app. The app doesn't let me access content on android tv devices outside of the home network, but it lets me access it on phone outside of the home network. I'm trying to set up something that will require as little interaction with the home network, because the home network is a condo that is occupied seasonally.

Edit: Dock doesn't seem compatable with using the HDMI out on the phone.

The LinkPi ENC5 V2 got here today. It's been running for about 30 minutes, nothing super new to report until I build my multi-tuner LinkPILE over the holiday. But it's fun to see this:

2 Likes

I concur on the black levels. I may try tinkering to see if i can improve.

Let me know if you find anything. Good luck.

I tried this several months ago but gave up. Then saw @turtletank created a Docker program and thought Iā€™d give it another shot. Worked great! However, I have one issueā€¦

Iā€™m using a Firestick with Hulu and if I have some inactivity I get a Hulu error message that they are having trouble loading the content. If it use the remote to relstart the app, everything works great and I can switch channels, etc. but as soon as thereā€™s inactivity, same message.

On the program everythingā€™s green, including ADB. I canā€™t preview a program either on the program until I reload the app.

I have disabled sleep on the device and everything else I can think of. Any help would be appreciated.

I think I figured it out. Thereā€™s an ā€œambient displayā€ feature that was interrupting things. I disabled that and it appears to be working now. Not that familiar with Firestickā€¦ so there you go.

NBC's been working great until the last couple of weeks, now it fails to launch on the onn once every few tries. My bmitune script checks to see if it's running after launch with the shell pidof command and it returns a pid, but the app is not actually running onscreen. So all you get in the recording is the onn home screen. Rebooting the onn did not fix the issue so now my recordings are unreliable.

I'm wondering if this is a new bug in the NBC app because I've also seen it crash a few times not long after a launch. This all started recently, anyone else see it?

@spammedeeper seems like you have put a lot of testing in with the various link pi units.

Ive updated mine to the latest firmware and have been testing and have noticed that the video capture and/or audio just hangs after random periods of time. It will either freeze on a video frame, with audio continuing, or the audio will hang and the video will continue. Usually after an hour or so. But difficult to make the symptom happen ā€œon demandā€ .. The first few weeks with the unit were very good, but the past several weeks not as good, and this symptom is creeping in more and more making the unit unusable.

I am using no automation, so the unit is capturing continuously vs using a tuner concept via channels (which for me will come later when i upgrade my media server to a mac mini)

Ive noticed the hanging video with several different video sources , from my iphone via an hdmi adapter as well as a firestick 4k as source.

Have you noticed any video/audio ā€œhangsā€ on your LinkPi journey? Ive got a return window closing at Amazon to consider.

I'm fully automated so my streams are on demand. The one thing that comes to mind, which matches your current use case, is when I was testing on ENC1. I had a live stream going and reconnected many times with VLC when changing Encoder settings. A few times the preview would show in the LinkPi Interface, but would not start a stream in VLC.. A reboot fixed the stream. I assumed it was a time out issue as I was connecting so many times. I have not seen this in automation.

It is also well known the USB capture (webcam) connection can stop responding if used for long periods. I experienced this, reboot restores USB.

I will say my LinkPi's are stripped down. I only have TS streams, no sub streams, no Mix/Overlays and no other services running. May want to trim down your settings to basic and see if it makes a difference.

I've not had much time to test, but will (hopefully) this weekend. I still have one of my ENC1's hooked up as my LinkPILE stack is staged. I will see if I can make it burp and report back.

Thank you for the info.
Ive set up a simple test at the moment using the main profile with none of the ā€œextrasā€ like overlays (which btw are really cool).

Just set up a firetv 4k streaming one of its live channels continuously. Well see if it hangs at some point.

Ive also emailed their support through the email address given on amazon. Waiting to hear back.

Ill report back here as well if I get more clarity on the issue.

Have you tried any other sources than FireTV? Wonder if the FireTV is acting up? I just realized I left a ChromeCast 4K streaming for about 6 days and just fired up the stream in VLC, no issue.

2 Likes

Ive tried the firetv and an apple iphone with lightning to hdmi adapter.
Both exhibit the same issue.

Thats a good idea though, i think ive got an old chromecast in my drawer. Ill give it a try.

I did hear back from Link Pi last night and have sent them more details as well as screen shots of the preview pane and the CPU statistics during the freeze.

We will see.

I have two Link Pi encoders. Using them with ADBTuner. I did not change any settings in the Docker image or with the Firesticks except to enable Dev Mode and USB. They take about 15 seconds to wake up when I tune to a channel using them. My only complaint is black levels are a bit gray. Not as crisp as I would like. I would note you must power cycle them after making any changes to settings. A reboot may not work. I have not touched mine in 30 days. They go to "sleep" as do my Firesticks but wake up when requested. I found their support to be good.

2 Likes

I sent customer support a clip in hopes they can make a change. Will post if updated.

I hope it helps. I don't seem to have the black level challenges, but am curious what support says.

Understand. The levels are just off a bit. It is watchable.