Home VPN server

An update on my personal project, I have setup my own VPN using the Netgear FVS318-Gv2 across three (3) locations. Using the HDHomeRun Prime at my location in New York, I am able to access my cable subscription via that network remotely from the other two locations. With Channels app for iOS (Paid) and testing the app for Apple TV (Beta), I’m successfully watching my channels.

If there are any questions about my setup, let me know.

Is HD video steady through VPN? If so, what are your bandwidth speeds? I can stream raw video remotely with no issues via NextPVR (it just creates a ffmpeg server) but it gets choppy when streaming through VPN from the same location. I’ve tried both L2TP (Softether) and OpenVPN on routers with high-end CPUs, but it’s still unwatchable. What are you exactly using?

HD channels are choppy, the connection here (in Jamaica) is not that great. I’m on a 20Mbps/5Mbps connection. SD channels are pretty good, there is the stutter on video with fast movement, I should have a look at the sports channels to see how it performs.

I’m using the Netgear FVS318Gv2 to create a box-to-box (or site-to-site) VPN.

What is your upload speed at your main home where you have your VPN set up?

In NY the upstream is 50Mbps

That seems like a sufficient upload speed. Have you tried a location where the download speed is faster and more consistent? Just trying to find the “minimum” upload and download speeds for HD channels to be smooth.

I think the challenge is going to get consistent network throughput more so then outright speed. With live tv there is very little buffering so any network hiccup causes an issue. Live high def video maybe a network worst case in that almost everything else is more forgiving on network performance.

Hey Tim, I think I might have a similar setup to you, Synology with OpenVPN. For whatever reason though, I haven’t found a good OpenVPN client for my iPhone. Do you have any suggestions? I’m trying to get this same thing working.

I just use the OpenVPN app if you’re using OpenVPN. The hardest part is getting the ovpn file on your iPhone, but after that you just turn it on and off with the VPN switch in Settings.