How can I record a show on both channels it's showing on?

This AM I awoke to find my recording of the Seahawks preseason game 3 hours of this:

Because of my tuner priority, Channels prioritized the 'NFL Network' feed of the game over the local broadcast.

I frequently run into a situation where a Sporting Event is showing on two different tuners, but one is blacked out, or one of them has the listing wrong.

Is there a way to record a show from MULTIPLE tuners, instead of just defaulting to the tuner priority? That way I can definitely get the game recorded?

You can manually select a program to record by selecting it in the guide of from a search; each requested manual program will record, even if it is the same program as on a different channel, or if it has already been recorded.

However, recordings scheduled by a pass will only ever select a single airing of a program, using the DVR's priority rules to select which airing.

1 Like

You could also just temporarily hide one of the channels. I've done that before so I know it records from the right network. Then when it's done you unhide it.

I'll give that a shot.

UPDATE: That worked! I think I can also create a custom 'Pass' for each channel for the same show as well, I want to try that out.

UPDATE #2: I attempted to create a custom / advanced pass for the same show on different channels, and that does not work, so unfortunately, the only way to do this is to manually record each show on each channel.

1 Like

Unfortunately that won't work since many times I don't always know beforehand which tuner's show will be blacked out.

It's really more about having an insurance policy when I REALLY want to make sure I get 'The big game' recorded.

1 Like

If they have the same episode ID, the DVR will only create a single recording, regardless of how many passes you have.

Right you'd need an understanding of how blackouts work

I always thought that if it's on a local channel, then that channel has the game and blacked out on National for you. If it's not on the local channel, then it's on whatever National Channel has the game (espn, NFL, Amazon etc). And the kicker is that game you missed probably was just a rebroadcast of the local game on the NFL Network. But it's all about the commercials, which is why we have blackouts.

Try scheduling a recording for a show scheduled on your alternate channel just before the game. Pad the length of this recording to extend after the game length. If your primary channel is Blacked Out, then you can use this secondary recording. You can even move the secondary recording off your recording disk drive and rename it the exact name of the primary Blacked Out recording and then manually delete the Blacked Out recording using your OS toots (not Channels DVR). Then use Refresh Metadata to correct recording length. While this is not the ability to record off both channels with the same Pass, it works.

My understanding is the opposite:

Local broadcasts are blacked out unless a minimum threshold of ticket sales is met. (The original thinking was to drive ticket sales, so local fans' only real option to see the game was to attend in person, unless the game was a sell-out.)

So I have a priority order in my passes setup to deal with this:

These are all Advanced Passes that control what stations things record on to avoid these situations...

Priory 1: My team, not on NFL Network

Priority 2: Live games not on Sunday

Priority 3: Replay of Amazon's Thursday Night game on the NFL Network

Priority 4: International games on early Sunday morning:

It used to be that way but was changed back 10 or so years ago.

Really interesting way to approach the problem, thx

I think my "Record all the things" strategy is always going to work though :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.