How does Channels determine what Channel to record w/ HDHomeRun Flex 4K

I have just added SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex 4K ATSC 3.0 NextGen TV: 2/4 Tuners HDFX-4K, this to my list of recording sources. In my market, we have both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0 available. (3.0 is limited to four channels). When I look at the schedule it shows that NBC 108.1 (ATSC 3.0) is first and 8.1 (ATSC 1.0) is listed 2nd. Since the device only has 2 ATSC 3.0 tuners available and if four shows are recording and 9PM and (ATSC 3.0) is first when it goes to records shows 3 and 4 will those automatically default to (ATSC 1.0 tuners) if the ATSC 3.0 are busy recording something else. I hope that makes sense.

Thank You

All other things being equal, highest channel number is preferred.
It looks through all tuners (in tuner priority order) for a favorite channel matching the airing searching from highest to lowest channel number.
Then looks through all tuners (in tuner priority order) for an HD channel matching the airing searching from highest to lowest channel number.
Then looks through all tuners (in tuner priority order) for an SD channel matching the airing searching from highest to lowest channel number.

I think I understand what you are getting at. Currently I have Flex as the first in priority and then TVE. So, I assume if the two ATSC 3.0 tuners are busy, then Channels will go down the ATSC 1.0 tuners.

180.1 NBC (3.0)
8.1 NBC (1.0)
6000 NBC (TVE) I put it 2nd in the list for source priority.

If I have all that wrong, let, me know.

Yes, unless channel 6000 is favorited and 8.1 is not.
If you read my post again you'll see it first looks for favorited channels, then non-favorited.

Channels are searched in reverse numerical order (higher numbered channels come first) on each tuner

1. Favorite channel on tuner#1, then tuner#2, tuner#3...
  2. Non-favorite HD channel on tuner#1, then tuner#2, tuner#3...
  3. Non-favorite SD channel on tuner#1, then tuner#2, tuner#3...

This is how I have the sources.

108.1 and 8.1 are both on the first one and then 6000 is on the 2nd one. All three are favorited on their source.

Maybe I understand what you are saying maybe I don't. I'll have to see what happens.

Best way to see for yourself is pick something airing tomorrow at the same time on all three channels and create a pass for it.
Then look in your schedule to see what order the channels are listed for the scheduled recording.

If you change tuner priorites or favorite channels, they won't be reflected in the schedule until the morning guide update, or immediately by pausing/resuming the pass.

1 Like

What are you trying to achieve?

Do you have good signal on both 108.1 and 8.1? If so, these are probably more reliable and better quality than TVE. So your current setup is good. If you are having issues with 8.1, then you could remove the favorite from that and it will skip down to TVE if the ATSC 3.0 tuners are all used.

What I am trying to achieve is gathering info on how Channels with handle tuners and what order they handle the recordings. Which I believe I have achieved.