How to force iOS and tvOS clients to connect as remote if client can see server over VPN?

I have a channels DVR server located in another town (place A) where I have a HDHOMERUN Prime w/cablecard and an antenna with a HDHOMERUN Duo. Place B (192.168.4.0/24) and place A (192.168.10.0/24) are connected via a Openvpn VPN connection. When I try to connect a device in place B to my server in place A "Away from home" and sign in or authorize it using a code to the server, the connection does not go out over the internet .. it instead becomes a "local" connection via the VPN. This is not what I want. I want a remote HLS connection. My workaround is to in put a router based block, stopping client connections from place B to place A via the VPN. Why is the client so agressive at finding any local path to the server? "Local" connections do not work for me in this case, only "remote" connections. We need a way to force a "remote" connection.

It's currently not working but something we are looking to fix

This has been fixed:

1 Like

Having this same issue with UniFi Magic Site-to-Site VPN. I try to connect to Channels remote DVR using Away from Home, authorize, it connects xxxxxxx.channelsdvr.net and 5 seconds later (when it finds the IP address of the server as a local connection) it switches to the local (VPN) At Home connection.

When connected remote (turning off the VPN) streaming is stable; when connected through VPN streaming is buffering and cutting out constantly, I guess because of site-to-site encryption or added bandwidth.

The best solution we've found for this sort of scenario is to add a firewall rule on your UniFi to block port 8089 on the VPN interface. I know this isn't optimal for your scenario, but in 99% of the use cases it's a better experience to use a local network connection if it can connect.

I'll try that, thanks.

I thought Site-to-Site VPN did not add any weight to the stream's bandwidth, but it clearly does.

If it makes you feel better, I have to do this myself, heh.

site-to-site (while super convenient) speeds over the vpn are a not so hot 60mbit, where as using straight remote dvr will utilize my full FIOS upload bandwidth from home.

It's not a Channels thing, it's a Unifi thing. The speeds cap out at about 60mbps. It's kinda of disappointing because it's a great setup.

1 Like