How to Watch CNN without Cable/Sat Subscription?

I think it's the same feed, but delayed 6 or so hrs

Fubo does not (I just confirmed on my end,) and I'd be surprised if Philo or Vidgo do. But it sounds like your list is outdated now, as YouTube TV and Hulu Live apparently do. This page says Sling does too? 8 Best Services to Watch CNN Without Cable | agoodmovietowatch

No, it's a curated playlist of short-form digital content, not the same feed at all, delayed or otherwise.

its probably more accurate to go to CNN's website to check if a TV provider is listed. I do not see Phil, Sling or Vidgo listed. You can see the list by going through the login process to see if a particular provider is listed.

Agreed, thanks. I suppose my note just serves as a reminder that just because a service like Sling (or "Sling Orange") allows a viewer to watch CNN, that doesn't mean the same subscription extends to TVE, for external access in other apps, like Channels DVR.

I have updated my post to reflect these new changes. Other than Philo, my last first-hand experience with the other services was approximately 18 months ago.

Perhaps not what you're looking for, but...

If you don't want to pay for cable or a streaming package, but still need your live news fix, you can get free audio-only feeds of CNN, CNN International, MSNBC, BBC World Service, and many other news channels on the Tune In app.

Also, many of the prime-time programs are available as podcasts for later listening.

For OTA video news programming, you can always get the local feed of the national networks, and the PBS Newshour is one of the best 1-hour newscasts around - for free!

If that still doesn't scratch the itch, you'll probably have to spring for a low-end streaming subscription that includes the live channels you want.

2 Likes

I’ve got CNN on Samsung TV in the UK. If you search online you can find the M3U playlists for the various versions of Pluto TV and Samsung TV and add these to Channels DVR.

The Pluto and Samsung CNN channels are not the actual CNN live channel. They are a stream of clips of recent CNN videos. These clips channels may be good enough. But they are not the actual CNN live stream.

1 Like

It is on Samsung TV plus in the UK, you’re thinking of the CNN feed on Pluto in the USA which is just replays, I’ve also got CNN through my satellite and both the Samsung TV plus in the UK and the Satellite feed are the same.

You are correct. The Samsung TV Plus I was checking was the US list found in Master-list Free Working M3U (Custom Channels).

I did a little modification of the Samsung links changing the US to GB like this https://i.mjh.nz/SamsungTVPlus/gb.m3u8 and it did appear to give me a functional CNN International. CNN International launches on Samsung TV Plus with Rakuten TV - Digital TV Europe. The ALL list is too large for Channels.

That is better than a clips channel. Still not the US version, but closer. CNN and CNNi have very similar programming much of the time.

4 Likes

If i could get cnn and bravo direct. I'd cancel sling.

I was definitely able to watch them for quite a bit longer than 10 minutes.

I don't know what to tell you, it states that right on the screen and CNN is a cable channel so it isn't free.

Here's from their site:

A TV service subscription is required . If you do not see your TV service provider listed when signing in, please contact your TV service provider to find out how you can get access to CNNgo. No additional subscription or membership to CNN.com is required.

As is often the case online, some folks answer PART of the question. Sure, some of these other services have CNN. And yes, CNN lists places you can watch it.

BUT and a BIG BUT.....

The original question was a way to watch CNN from within the ChannelsDVR guide.

Sure, you can watch it with Sling, but not within ChannelsDVR guide.
Same with Youtube TV, or at least my experience, though another showed it worked for him. It was not available when I tried it.

I have been able to locate some .MU3 streams that work, for a bit. And yea, I am not paying for those. I am willing to pay for a CNN or MSNBC stream that works WITHIN my ChannelsDVR guide. (TVEverywhere). Directv and Directv Stream meet that, and I guess most cable companies. (none of which that have any cheap options)

That's a strange question. CNN takes in many millions in advertising fees that are based on their viewership numbers. So, yes, it could and should be free, just as the over-the-air broadcast stations are free -- paid for by the advertisers. I'm sure it's exclusivity contracts with the cable and satellite operators that screw the consumer.

Worth mentioning again though, is that when I do watch CNN via TVE with Channels DVR and a compatible provider, I don't get any commercials at all. It's a stream of CNNgo. Instead it just shows a silent screen of text during commercial breaks that says "Commercial break in progress. CNN will resume momentarily." I often leave CNN on the TV while working, just as background audio.
Why CNN hasn't figured out how to monetize this better with actual advertising during these breaks, is beyond me. But I'm not complaining about it, and have gotten used to the breaks of silence.

Understood. I have the same experience. I was just answering the question about the expectation of it being free. Because I think that's a reasonable expectation -- they have advertising revenue to pay for the service. And the more eyeballs they have on it, the more they can charge the advertisers. I agree with you that they just need to figure it out better, because they're losing advertising revenue with all those silent "black-outs" of commercials when streaming, when they should be counting the streams and presenting that data to the ad agencies.

1 Like

I think its reasonable to not to expect to pay twice. But, thats the whole issue with all of these cable networks, not just CNN. They all run ads (mostly). They all also expect you to pay a subscription in addition to what you are already paying through ads. Thats why I dropped cable entirely. Now, I pay for what I watch without commercials and the quality is so much better. Other than live news channels like CNN, I can watch everything I could before at a fraction of the cost. Like I said earlier, CNN attempted to create a service where you could subscribe to them without cable. The attempt failed miserably and only exposed how poor their ratings really are. Its likely CNN could not exist except their parent company forces cable carriers to include them in the base package meaning you pay for them if you watch them or not.