How to Watch CNN without Cable/Sat Subscription?

Based on what I can find here, the only way to watch CNN (and many other channels) on my ChannelsDVR is with a cable or Sat subscription.

Am I missing something?

We had that channel and many others via my daughters DirectvStream account until they decided to cancel it. Can. not find another way. Based on a page here, looks like services like Sling, etc. do not provide it via TV Anywhere.

Do you expect it to be free?

So pay for it yourself? :thinking:

I appreciate your comment about paying. Here is the deal. We almost NEVER watch all those channels, only CNN or MSNBC. I would pay for them if I could. I even bought a Sling package and now find that most of the channels I pay for do not work with ChannelsDVR. Not ready to pay $60 a month for only a channel or two. (we use OTA and a few streaming services like Netflix for 98% of our tv)

CNN is the only reason we keep cable - my wife is addicted!
I think there existing cable contracts preclude them from offering there own stream.

CNN tried a subscription version of the network, CNN+. It failed after 30 days because no one subscribed. Who knows if something like that will return to CNN. The ratings are so bad on their linear cable channel, I suspect their new owners are focused on fixing that first. The cheapest way to get CNN that I know of is through SlingTV at $35 a month. Of course you are paying twice, once for the $35 and then again with the ads.

With that subscription you have to watch the channel through the Sling TV app though, as Sling (like YTTV and Hulu Live) doesn't offer TVE access for it. Providers like DirecTV and DirecTV Stream and Spectrum, however, do offer TVE access for CNN.

The reason I mention this distinction is because when I watch CNN via TVE with Channels DVR and compatible provider, I don't get any commercials. It's a stream of CNNgo. Instead it just shows a silent screen of text during commercial breaks that says "Commercial break in progress. CNN will resume momentarily."

In that case, your options are YouTube TV at $64.99 and Hulu Live TV at $69.99.

As it's been mentioned numerous times here and elsewhere: historically neither of those services have extended TVE authorization to CNN.

The only "standalone" streaming subscription I know for sure that does, is DirecTV Stream.

Those services do work in the CNNgo app. If TVE doesn't work, it looks like you have answered your own question. :slight_smile:

I have Youtube TV and both CNN and CNN International show as authorized on my end.

There's a CNN channel on Pluto. It's not really CNN but may be good enough

2 Likes

I know CNN TVE is available with Hulu Live because that's how I get it. @Michael_Duncan confirms it works for YouTube TV. Both services added it shortly after DIRECTV Stream (then AT&T TV) did.

1 Like

Might be a relatively new change then. There are lots of posts here and elsewhere complaining saying otherwise.

That's good news, though!

From my personal experience—as well as based upon comments from other users—the only TVE providers that offer WarnerMedia (or whatever they are calling themselves after the latest merger) are traditional cable/satellite providers. I know that both Spectrum and DirecTV has access to them, and I seem to recall Frontier (né Verizon) FiOS, as well as Cox and Comcast all provide access as well.

However, of the OTT providers I have tried—Philo, Sling, YouTubeTV, Fubo, Vidgo—none of them offered access to any Warner content.

For those wondering, the WarnerMedia properties that offer TVE live streams are:

• Cartoon Network
  • CNN
  • CNN International
  • HLN
  • TBS
  • TCM
  • TNT
  • TruTV

Once the merger finally completes and the next round of contract/carriage negotiations happen, who knows what Warner Bros. Discovery will do.

EDIT: As others have pointed out below, it appears that since I trialed YTTV (and possibly Sling), they have re-negotiated and now offer Warner content.

FWIW, there are direct links available for CNN and other Turner channels right on a Time Warner site (warnermediacdn.com). They are likely geolocked to the US, but beyond that they can be accessed. I am not going to include direct links, but I actually use them because they load faster than the TVE channels.

They can only be accessed (other than a 10 minute preview) if you sign in with a TV provider.

Will it ever be possible for Channels to work with CNNGo in some fashion? If so, this would be an end around for not being offered on a specific providers TVE offerings.

Confirming I get CNN with Hulu Live TVE here.

2 Likes

The reason I said earlier that CNN supports YouTube TV and Hulu Live TV is because CNN"s website actually says it supports them. I'm glad to see others confirm it. Any posts suggesting they don't work are 2-3 years old compared to a lookup on their websites yesterday.

1 Like

If you are in a Spectrum area, they have some cheaper streaming only packages, other than that it's over $70. It's amazing we've taken a huge step backwards since Playstation Vue came out.

I think it's the same feed, but delayed 6 or so hrs