I believe some TVE recordings are failing that don't need to

Since adding TVE to my channel lineups, I've seen a number of recordings attempt to record a program from a TVE channel and fail. The most common error I see is:

"Failed: could not start stream on channels=[xxxx]: TVE: "no login form found"

with "xxxx" being the 6000 series number of the target channel. Most of the times I've seen this failure occur, I can go to that channel in the guide, choose the current program, and select Watch Now. A couple times it takes more than one attempt, but eventually it will usually begin playing.

Meanwhile, the recording was missed unless I caught it and by then I've missed at least some of it.

I don't know if anything can be done to improve such a scenario. Thankfully, a number of the missed recordings were broadcast later and eventually recorded successfully.

That's the symptom you see when your auth token for that channels has expired and Channels DVR is attempting to re-auth it. If you look in the log you should see that re-auth activity.

Yes, I've seen that in my attempts to watch manually. It just occurred to me that if perhaps Channels could be just a little more persistent/patient at getting the authentication before giving up there might be fewer recordings missed.

1 Like

Unless things have changed recently, it used to retry but backing off on retries as it went along. Like retry in one second, then 2 seconds, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 seconds.

Perhaps it gives up now when it encounters the no login form found.

I know I can fill the log if I attempt to watch a channel live in the web UI that needs re-authed and for some reason Xfinity won't let it. Seen that many times. It actually appears that it's doing multiple auth/login attempts at the same time. And it still tries to re-auth after it was succesful and the stream starts.

I think you're right. From my recollection, it seems that it's not the authentication process that quits too soon, but the "no login form" error that results in an aborted effort. I'll keep an eye out for that now.

Wondering if it's an Xfinity thing. I've been seeing it recently.

Haven't updated that post, but had a channel (IFC) 3 days ago that worked from their website, but Channels DVR couldn't auth it no matter what I tried. Next day it started working.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.