Install DVR as a service MacOS

It seems the process of installing the DVR as a service has changed. There used to be a script Insta…sh --system. I can find this any longer on my system after an upgrade of the DVR to the latest version. How do I install the DVR as a service on MacOS?

~/Library/Application\ Support/ChannelsDVR/install.sh --system

1 Like

What about running the DVR as a service whilst on Apple Silicon (Mac Mini M1). I haven't been successful doing this. I had it working on my previous Mac, but haven't been able to get this to work since upgrading to my Mac Mini M1. I need to log-in to my account to get the DVR running. I'd love if the DVR could run as a service right after my computer has a reboot. Is this possible? What am I missing?

The command is the same for M1 macs.

This should run outside my login (i.e. - right after a reboot), correct? If so, it's not working for me. None of my Apple TV devices connect until I login to macOS. Any suggestions on how to proceed with troubleshooting this? Thanks.

Is the dvr showing up in your Mac menu bar still?

What did the command say when you ran it?

Did it succeed, but now you have two instances of the DVR server running, one for your user account and a second as a system service? And perhaps the clients are connecting to existing server running under your user account?

Yes. The DVR logo is still showing in my Mac menu bar.

Basically it has always said the service is already running. Below is the exact message...

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.getchannels.dvr.plist: service already loaded
Load failed: 37: Operation already in progress

Oh.... I think I may know the problem. Could the following be causing the issue?

I run my DVR from external storage (M.2 drive connected via the USB-C port). Would that even be accessible outside of being logged in to my computer?

Good news.... I don't know if it was the most recent update to macOS 11.5 or one of the beta updates to Channels DVR, but Channels DVR now runs on my mac Mini M1 as a service. I still think the issue was that I am using an external USB-C drive as the main Storage Path for Channels DVR.

I could never get Channels to operate on my Apple TVs without logging in to my account on the Mac. I just tested again after the update to macOS 11.5. Everything is loading fine now!

I did notice that one issue fixed in macOS 11.5 is that "smart cards may not work when logging into Mac computers with the M1 chip". Maybe this also applies somehow to the situation with my external USB-C drive.

1 Like