Interesting MiniPC with Linux

I do that with every PC windows/linux etc... Also install new operating system with no network connection.

1 Like

While I’m sure this thing will run CDVR just fine, the Beelink with a n5905 will smoke this a9 with anything cpu intensive.

1 Like

Got my ATOPNUC on 5/11, connected it to network, monitor, keyboard & mouse and fired it up. Very Slick for $90. It booted the pre-loaded Ubuntu 20.04 very quickly. I played with it a little bit then booted from an Ubuntu Desktop 22.04 image, wiped the SSD and installed a clean minimal v22.04 which is what I have running on all my other machines. It installs and runs Ubuntu Desktop 22.04 very quickly with no issues. I installed chromium-browser, curl, then Channels-DVR; connected to CDVR from another machine and it was there and ready for me to transfer my system over from a Shield.
My intent is to transfer my CDVR system over to this box and run it as a headless (no KVM) CDVR server with just the SSD from my Shield plugged in.

Problem:
I do like to keep my Ubuntu's current so I was planning on using Remmina to make an RDP remote desktop connection to the ATOPNUC so I could access the GUI and run the software updater tool. I use Remmina to remotely access all my machines with no problems. With the ATOPNUC, Remmina also works perfectly -- no problems -- until you pull the HDMI cable to the monitor out. Then poof, the remote desktop window closes and you can't get it back -- until you plug a monitor back in. Kind of puts a kink in running headless if you want to be able to access the GUI.

I'm no linux expert, but I do know my way around the command line so the solution for me was to install Open-SSH server on the ATOPNUC so I could connect to it via SSH and run the apt and snap update commands from the command line. The SSH connection works fine on a headless ATOPNUC. At this point I'm thinking of just trashing Ubuntu Desktop and just installing Server 22.04 since I have to use SSH. There is no auto login on reboot of Ubuntu Server, but since CDVR runs as a service no login is needed. I'll let you know once I get this and CDVR up and running how I decided to float the boat.

1 Like

My setup is similar

A. I use a dummy display plug
Amazon.com : hdmi dummy plug
B. I configured x11vnc server to boot at startup so that Remmina can connect.

1 Like

The only problem is that Channels DVR does not support hardware transcoding at the moment on it ... I tested the other DVRS Emby and Plex and they both work with hardware transcoding on it.

If your goal is to have hardware transcoding on a sub $90 device w/Channels get this -

My goal is to see Channels DVR support hardware transcoding on AMD Linux like all other software out there.

did anybody ask you for this?

Yes I did and they already support Hardware on AMD in Windows.

1 Like

If you want remote gui, why not Vnc?

If you know cli then no need for gui at all. Just go with ssh

4 Likes

A. Hey, thanks. I never knew these existed. Your link is broken but I easily found them on Amazon and ordered one for under $10 -- will be here tomorrow. I can't resist playing so I already trashed 22.04 Desktop and installed 22.04 Server. I'll play with that a while then put Desktop back on.

Just curious, why even mess with desktop when you can go with less overhead by using server?

1 Like

Indeed it was. Fixed Amazon.com : hdmi dummy plug

Because I've always used Desktop and am familiar with it. Even though I use the command line a lot in Desktop, I'm not a CLI expert and going Server means giving up the GUI security blanket. Having said that, this is a case of setting up a simple appliance -- I only have to install Chromium and CDVR and then I'm set. So, I'm playing and taking it slow.

You should also look into installing webmin. It can give you that safety blanket as well. Helps a lot with creating shares and file permissions.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info and tip, but I don't think my use case needs that level of sophistication. It was really simple to get CDVR running on the base 22.04 server installation -- just installed Chromium then CDVR server. That was it: I could connect to the CDVR web interface and SSH into the server to perform updates. Totally anti-climactic.

1 Like

The RDP issue isn't Remmina, it's Ubuntu. RDP doesn't work on Ubuntu 22.04 without a monitor plugged in. Its a show stopper for me. I'm amazed how anyone could love Ubuntu with this big in it.

I'm also amazed it hasn't been fixed yet.

My solution was to buy one of those adapters on Amazon that tricks the computer into thinking there's a monitor connected. It forces 1920x1080 when I want 1920x1200, but it works.

1 Like

Webmin is AWESOME!!!

Just to wrap up my story. I finally received the HDMI dummy plug ordered (thanks ari_tafari). I reinstalled Ubuntu Desktop 22.04 and with the HDMI plug installed, had no problem establishing an RDP display session to the headless box. Once that was in hand I installed curl, chromium and CDVR server and transferred my CDVR system from my Shield to the ATOPNUC. CDVR runs perfectly on the box under linux and I now expect the couple bugs I experienced running CDVR server on the Shield will disappear. End of story.

1 Like