IPTVX, iProTV and Quadstream: Multiview via Channels

Of interest to this topic, YouTube TV has further enhanced their version of Multiview, albeit with pre-selected channel choices: sports, news, business, weather etc.

It's a step in the right direction but obviously still needs more. I was hoping that we'd be able to select whatever channels we want in a grid and not just their selected choices, but this note doesn't give me confidence that they're going to pull it off anytime soon.

1 Like

I have been using it the last couple weekends and it works pretty well. The unlimited DVR adds to the experience so you can easily rewind each screen, if you miss something. Pretty seamless. More window options and full channel selection and it would be perfect.

As much as I do appreciate it, for news specifically for this feature to be of interest, I've got to have the ability to choose between whatever local and other national, international news channels are available on the service. (i.e. not just Fox News, MSNBC, CNN and BBC.) But yeah, this sure is better than no multiview at all.

I'm still using IPTVX via Channels DVR for the most part, I've dialed it in with the favorite channels I enjoy choosing from most (across the board with antenna content, streaming and ADBtuner channels) and it allows for the most flexibility. Of all the choices providing on-the-fly multiviewing, it works the best for me. I just wish the overall UI of the app was more polished, specifically with regards to multiview, and that we could save and re-arrange the grid content in a more elegant and intuitive way.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both setups. I use something similar to your setup when I am home. Can you easily rewind on your setup if you miss something? That is an advantage I am getting with YTTV. It seems more seamless to me for that particular feature.

No, I can't, there's no DVR capability at all in IPTVX's MultiView. It's not a matter of ease or which is "more seamless." The only cloud DVR's I've been able to MultView wiith and rewind in, have been YouTube TV and Fubo, and Fubo is lacking KTLA, CNN, TNT, and a few other channel I consider essential. For now, YTTV is the better choice for me as a live TV provider because of it.

Absolutely, and none yet are perfect, none offer all the channels, all the functionality and flexibility that I'm wishing for. Ah well. I'm still optimisitic that one day we'll get there. :pray:t3:

2 Likes

QuadStream 2.0 is here and now available for iOS, iPadOS, tvOS and macOS

1 Like

I was watching the News multiview on YouTube TV last night. At around 1AM, it abrupted changed to one channel, and an alert banner said "Multiview ended." I couldn't watch the grid again until this morning. So that's a new wrinkle to be aware of; multiview is only available to viewers when YTTV decides it should be.

Sad they can get so close to perfection and screw it up. I have watched more college football than I normally do because of multi-screen. They have had enough game options that I have used it each Saturday.

Just recently got around to setting this up. Is there a variable to not transcode just play directly the channel? Reason I ask is I have an Old Mac Pro and it’s not able to handle the transcoding for multiple channels.

1 Like
http://x.x.x.x:8089/devices/ANY/channels.m3u?format=ts

With my setup the url above does not transcode in other apps.

1 Like

Thanks! I will try that @Fofer is HLS and that might be why it’s transcoding.

I'd love to see multistream functionality come to Channels. I've been using iPro TV on an Apple TV 3rd gen and a couple Apple TV 1st gen devices, pulling in the feed from Channels, and it's flawless with as many streams as I've tried (4) (caveat is I definitely have tried 4 streams on the 3rd gen, but I don't remember if I've done 4 on the 1st gen). On an Onn 4K streaming sick, I've been using Tivimate, and it handles two streams just fine. The big drawback of these options, of course, is having to jump out to a separate app, and the fact that the UI on these other apps is a bit wonky (I gave up on IPTVX after fighting the UI for a few days).

1 Like

Just paid for IPTVX for a year. Seems to work well… however… Is it possible to have multiple streams from different providers in the multi window environment?

I subscribe to 4 different IPTV providers and they only allow me 3 streams each so I need to be able to add streams from different ones. I realise that I could add my own M3U file using links from different providers but that is a hassle and links can change.

I can do this easily on TiviMate but this doesn’t appear to work with IPTVX?

I do this all of the time on iProTV, albeit you need to build the multiview somewhere other than tvOS.

1 Like

This TiviMax app looks promising for multi-view and very customizable.

Love the iPhone portrait and landscape EPG multi-view layout.

https://tivimax.web.app/apps.html

Very nice! Just sampled it for a bit, this may be my new favorite. It's very easy to customize a multiview grid, on-the-fly. Working well on AppleTV. I sprung for Premium! Thanks for mentioning it.

this look great! I'm trying the lite version and used the typical settings that work in the other apps ie (http://...:8089/devices/ANY/channels.m3u?codec=copy&format=ts and http://...:8089/devices/ANY/guide/xmltv?duration=604800)

but I don't see a guide, nothing under TV or movies under 'Shows' it displays my favorite channels bit non of them play.

Thanks for any tips!

These worked for me:

http://DVR-IP:8089/devices/ANY/channels.m3u

http://DVR-IP:8089/devices/ANY/guide/xmltv

(Obviously replace “DVR-IP” with your DVR’s IP address.)

There are some interface issues that I’ll be reporting to the developer, but of the 4-5 multiview apps I’ve experimented with so far on AppleTV, this TiviMax app is by far the most usable.

2 Likes

Consider Tivimate with the Channels DVR exported m3u and epg. Works well.

2 Likes

after playing more I found Tivimax needs format=HLS vs TS