Is it a bad idea to stay on the Channels pre release channel?

I’ve been on the latest Channels server pre release build channel and wondered if this is a bad idea? It’s been relatively stable and I enjoy getting the new features sooner, however I’m curious what others think about this and if I would be better off to stay on the latest stable build?

You know I hate to say this, and its not going to answer your question. It depends on the day of the week. With TVE seeming to be a landscape that changes constantly. You almost never can stay on the stable version. But the same is true with new features. It great to see them. You also like to see if something odd is going on with that new feature so you can report back to the devs what is going on so they can fix it. Also with that sometimes comes with an unstable usability. Guess it is just a double edge sword and the answer to it is well... It depends.

1 Like

Funny, that’s exactly how I would have answered this question :grinning:. Thanks for sharing your thoughts…

1 Like

To me, it's a no-brainer to run the betas. If only all software was this stable and well taken care of by the devs. When I see issues on my Shield Pro client or Win10 server, it's a good bet they're already on it, so I very seldom mention any bugs I see.

The once or twice in 2 years I've actually come to report something resembling a show-stopper bug, it's usually already been fixed in the latest beta I hadn't downloaded yet.

2 Likes

I would agree on all accounts. When you think of beta, it brings a whole different mindset with it. The devs do a fantastic job of staying on top of things and providing high quality updates…

1 Like

I watch the release notes topic and if I see a fix I need or a new feature I'm interested in trying, I'll update.
If you don't visit the forum frequently, you can subscribe to the release notes topic and get email announcements.

2 Likes

Excellent idea. Thanks you, :grinning:

I feel safe running the beta builds because this is possibly the best software I've ever used for any purpose. After 5 months I'm still finding features that work exactly as expected, and offer options I want.

I have high confidence that any serious bugs would be addressed very quickly. And I back up my installation nightly because things can happen to software or hardware.

1 Like

^ This ^

I pretty much consider any latest prelease older than 24 hours to be stable. Any pre-release that has a stability issue that is worth my concern is always fixed with a new pre-release, usually within hours. So my rule is if its a day old it is good to go. Granted I am on the forums daily and know when to stay clear of some releases.

1 Like

Is it possible to revert to a stable release without uninstalling/reinstalling?

Yes, but not from the Channels DVR UI.
Wish they could an option to Revert to Stable Release

3 Likes

For the most part, running prerelease works well. Although there are rarely bugs that cause problems if you manage to update to a bad prerelease build before the devs can fix or withdraw it. I generally stay on stable unless a prerelease fixes a critical feature I need like a broken tve channel. But given how much tve can break/change I'm on prerelease fairly often and have never had a problem.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.