Issues with new SD ATSC 3.0 tuner and Channels

Hi,

I just installed my newer SD ATSC 3.0 tuner and downloaded the program guide in Channels on the server. I am having to issues.

1. No audio on the new ATSC 3.0 channels when I watch a ATSC 3.0 channel in the web app. (I can hear audio on the ATV app and the HD Homerun app.)

2. I am a bit confused why I am still seeing "HDHomeRun QUATRO" when I completely took it off my network...

I can confirm no audio on the web app or VLC. It's my understanding updates to ffmpeg are needed to make AC-4 work on computers.

Probably want to post this here:

Just a note for anyone else trying out 3.0. I was noticing no audio and taking a long time to buffer on Channels app on my newest ATV. I change Video and Audio driver to Experimental and the sound is back and the buffering seems to be less.

2 Likes

For anyone else running into this. I have an HDHomerConnect 4K in Denver that I bought to use with Channels DVR because the ATSC 3.0 broadcasts are the only ones I have a strong enough signal to receive for some channels including Fox 31.

The ATSC 3.0 channels has good audio on some devices, and good video on some devices, but I don't have any players with DVR ability where the video and audio are both good.

I'm using Chrome on OSX, two "Chromecast with Google TV" devices and an Android tablet for players and Channels DVR on Raspberry PI for the server. On Chrome web browser video is good, no sound on ATSC 3.0 channels. On everything else video in the Channels DVR app seems to skip some frames and jumps about every 3 seconds. ATSC 3.0 audio via Channels DVR app works on everything, in fact it's the only player with audio that works on everything. ATSC 3.0 video works well on the most recent HD Homerun app and Google's "Live Channels" app, but there's no audio with those apps on my TV connected to an older sound bar, just my TV connected to a newer receiver.

So I can get good ATSC 3.0 video and audio via the HD Homerun app on my one TV connected to a newer audio receiver. I can get good audio, but jittery video via Channels DVR on all my Android devices, and good video but no audio via Channels DVR on my Chrome browser. If I could get Channels DVR to deliver the same video as the HD Homerun app on Android and keep the audio as it is now on Android then I'd be extremely happy with Channels DVR.

I also live in Denver, but have had good luck with the ATSC 3.0 stations. My setup, though, is a Synology NAS (DS218+) and Apple TV for the player. Fox 31 (131.1) was very rough in January and early February. There were a handful of firmware updates for the HDHR5 and also the Channels DVR server that seemed to set everything straight. I'm wondering if the server on the Raspberry Pi - since it's so new - is behind version-wise

The #1 issue that people seem to have with ATSC 3.0 channels: AC-4 audio. Few devices seem to support this new codec for audio, and it means that many early-adopters are left without audio.

Can you ensure that each device you have audio issues with has native support for AC-4?

1 Like

Are you saying if we use an Apple TV, we will not be at all now or in the future be able to have audio for ATSC 3.0?

I made no such statement.

I simply said that most of the issues seem to be about the audio codec that the ATSC 3.0 spec uses. I then said that few devices seem to support this new codec.

Thanks for sharing your setup bneuma, that gave me some ideas. Turns out the Channels DVR server isn't doing much once a live stream is playing. I started a live stream in Channels on my Google TV and unplugged my Raspberry PI and it kept playing. That led me to look at the HD Homerun and it was one firmware update behind. I updated it and things are not perfect, but much better. The Channels DVR player is no longer skipping every three-ish seconds. Sometimes it's perfect and when the video gets busy it seems to get behind and play at a slower frames per second. It's not bad, and some may not notice, but that doesn't happen on the HD Homerun Android app or the Google Live Channels app (neither of which have sound on some of my devices). So Channels is doing better with ATSC 3.0 than any other player on Android, and if it can close the gap on the HD Homerun app in terms of consistent video frame rate it will be perfect. Overall very impressed with Channels. Well worth the money.

By default, streams from HDHomeRun tuners are handled directly by the client apps, and the DVR server has no role in it whatsoever. (In fact, by default, the DVR server has no idea when a client starts a live stream from a HDHR tuner.)

If you would like the DVR to have a role in live streams from HDHR tuners, you need to enable Tuner Sharing on each client. (Settings > Playback > Advanced > Tuner Sharing)

Here's the page tracking that, hopefully it works out soon, would be nice to play back these recordings with VLC, or at the very least, be able to convert the files with playable audio included.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/8349