Just added hbo to my fios subscription and

So I added HBO to my current fios plan and I can't get the channels to show in my guide. I have them showing in my HDHomerun setup and can watch them on the HDHomerun app.
I can't get them to show up when i try to enable them in the sources section on the channels app. I am noticing when i go into the server and mangage the lineup i keep making hbo a favorite and when I go out and back in it has the off icon marked, i unmark it and click the heart but it won't save. I do notice it says DRM next to all the HBO channels and was wondering what

I am using the PI DVR server with the image on a Raspberry PI PC and it has been going flawlessly but I just can't get the new hbo stuff to show in my guide. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

here is a picture of my lineup it keeps showing up with the off marks next to HBO
I keep unmarking them so that just the Heart is showing and it reverts back to this everytime I go back in.

Channels does not support DRM

i sort of figured that wow that stinks....the HDhomerun app works but is god awful. Ok i guess its just hbomax for me. thanks for the response.

1 Like

Check out AnyStream

i want to watch live channels i guess i can use the horrible hdhomerun app for hbo it is horrible though.

I just did and the page says it only supports Amazon Prime, Disney+ and NetFlix.

I'm using PlayOn Cloud with Channels instead. It supports lots more, including HBO Max.

https://www.playon.tv/cloud?rsrc=channels-dvr#

The Anystream Beta does HBOMAX with full 7.1 Audio. Playon is great but Stereo Audio is so out dated.

1 Like

What I like about PlayOn is how seamless it is, and completely cloud-based. I feel like if I had to integrate yet another service, let alone a Windows PC or VM instance for AnyStream, I'd rather just use the HBO Max app directly on the AppleTV 4K, which provides better PQ and sound than both. HBO Max has the full library available, without commercials, so this isn't content I necessarily even need a DVR for in the first place.

With Anystream 2 hour movie 5 minutes to download with full audio so integration is mute. Playon should really consider full audio ,... as what a difference it is to watch a movie with Atmos rather than Stereo

1 Like

For offline enjoyment I can see that as a unique strength. But at home, what's the real-world benefit of Anystream over just using the HBO Max app to stream the same content directly, with even better PQ?

1 Like

Oh guess what I meant to say if I am going to the trouble to download a movie why would I download inferior quality. Obviously if I download it ... it is something I want to keep or why bother downloading. I wound up replacing all the movies I had downloaded with playon.

Ah, OK I see the difference then. I typically only download to fill a few gaps here and there, episodic shoes I've missed to make access or binging easier in certain contexts. Movies I want to "keep" I have in Movies Anywhere, VUDU, iTunes and the like and I stream them in 4K. I've built a sizable library in the cloud over the years using "Disk to Digital" for cheap, and the picture quality is better than Anystream or PlayOn, by far.

1 Like

I never tried Movies anywhere I will look into that.

1 Like

IIRC, Movies Anywhere is kind of like TV Everywhere, except for digital purchases. You can access all of your digital purchases from a single app, regardless of how you purchased them. Disney, iTunes, Vudu, and others all participate I believe. Just as TVE is SSO for streaming across sites/networks, MA is shared app/access point for digital videos across different vendors.

2 Likes

I have a lifetime PlayOn license and the only reason I use it is when I miss an episode in a series. I record it, watch it and delete it. I also have a lifetime AnyStream license. I use that for something that that I want to permanently add to my library.

What we have are two different approaches:

• @Edwin_Perez and myself are building digital libraries on our personal servers

• @racameron has built a digital library in the cloud

I think the key point here is that no matter where you are saving the media, it should always be of the highest quality. (i.e. 5.1 vs stereo)

I see one problem with Movies Anywhere, it depends on the movie remaining available on the original source. What happens when the movie is no longer on that service?

1 Like

Then that movie is still available via Movies Anywhere as well as any of the handful of other services that sync with the Movies Anywhere service.