Just set up - very poor HD video quality (cableCARD)

That's my ESPNHD from Xfinity (H.264)

He said his is

Probably also H.264.

Stats for ESPN ā€œHDā€ say that the video is native resolution 1289x720 and bitrate 3500 kbps.

1 Like

From the HDHR web UI Channel Lineup for mine
Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 19-10-27 HDHomeRun Lineup

:person_facepalming: I missed whose post it was.

I have the same set upā€¦using 2 primes and Xfinity cable cards and I have the experimental turned on and itā€™s crisp as can be.

The ATV app looks for the tuners themselves and shouldnā€™t be going through any other devices. So Iā€™d double check the throughput on the switch youā€™re using. That and/or double check the prime and itā€™s output.

My settings on both the tuners and the app match yours.

Out of curiosity, what is your bitrate on ESPN-HD as measured by the channel info in the ATV app, and how big is your TV?

All the switches in my home are gigabit and I can stream 4K UHD via other apps.

1 Like

You should be able to view a channel from your HDHR from an HDHR app, or VLC to see if it's the cable signal, network issue or Channels issue. Also be aware that a Channels App can view the feed direct from the HDHR Tuner, or make it go though the Channels DVR with the Tuner Sharing setting in the App.

Iā€™m on a 65in LG. Took a pic of the stats below.

Looks normal for 720p to me. Most of the channels i got using cable card with the Prime were 720p mp4 streams. Very few were 1080p.

I am not certain that the Prime can get 4K streams. I did not have a 4K package, only HD and thye charged $15 more per month "HD Technology Fee" when i upgraded from SD cable box to HD one and also got the cable card.

If you want top quality channel streams, pretty sure you have to use a Xfinity cable box, could be wrong. It has been few years now since I have had Xfinity service.

I think itā€™s possible Comcast is compressing these signals more and more so they can fit more IPTV channelsā€¦ I swapped back to my TiVo and itā€™s not really better. This could just be what I get. Crystal clear is not how Iā€™d describe it.

Give tve a try and see how that goes. Espn looks awesome with TVE on my setup.

Do you still have a tuner set-top-box from the cable company? How does the picture from their box compare to the picture from Channels tuned to the same channel on the same TV? Connect the 2 sources (cable box, ATV) to 2 different HDMI inputs on the TV and switch the input back-and-forth to do the comparison.

1 Like

I agree. The quality I got from Xfinity vs TVE was noticeable. Even my local channels vs TVE it was noticeable. I hope my local tv stations will get their act together and produce a better picture. I complained to them about it and the guy went on with different vendors and pointing figures at each other.

I had Comcast via cablecard for many years, the quality was always disappointing, even though it was MP4. A friend has spectrum which is using similar bitrate, but MPEG2, and that picture quality is even worse. There is no 4K from Comcast over traditional coax. Doesn't make sense to me why none of the cable companies try to compete on picture quality, that was a reason I used to use DirecTV because they always seemed to have the best picture. TVE does generally look better, but you lose audio quality since it's only stereo. Guess it all comes down to what's most important to you.

1 Like

Or, if in a good reception area, you could try an antenna for full quality local channels. It wouldn't get ESPN though.

60 PLN charge for ability to watch HD? Is this 2005?