Keywords in Automatic Channel Collections?

Just checked and works great!

1 Like

Thanks. I can't test it yet as I only have a Shield, but hopefully I will get a chance soon.

Available on android:

1 Like

For the genres you are able to combine multiple genres (for example Game Shows and Mysteries) and both will show up on the list. Why doesn't it work that way for keywords? I was hoping that the keyword would add to the list of programs under the genre selected instead of filtering them out.

Also, I notice that the keyword only works if you choose one of TV Shows, Movies or Sports. Choosing Everything does not work.

It’s supposed to work for any of them.

I’ll check out these issues soon.

OK, there's a fix coming with the next iOS/tvOS TestFlight beta.

It's important to know that these rules are all ANDed together. So, a channel's current airing needs to match all of the rules you have inputted. The exception is that they can match ANY of the options you pass in.

For example: You can have selected Movies and Genres: ["Action", "Adventure"]. Channel airings HAVE to both be a movie, and match 1 of the genres you've chosen. It can match action OR adventure, but it has to match ONE of them.

The same thing goes for keywords. You can add multiple keywords to grab a channel, but the channels have to match at least 1 of the keywords.

This should be resolved as well.

Thanks for clarifying this, but can you explain how these keywords are generated or where they come from? I tried adding "NFL" as a keyword to capture both NFL games and related sports talk shows (e.g., "Good Morning Football" on NFL Network) but that doesn't seem to work despite "Good Morning Football" having "NFL" multiple times in its show description.

Right now the keyword filter only matches "TechCheck" on CNBC which is completely off, and I can't really figure out why it's a match.

Keywords are literally just characters found in the show title, episode title, event title, or summary.

So it’s just a cheap search.

Have you tried with the latest tvOS beta?

Yes, this is with the latest beta.

@maddox for keyword filters, is there any way we could have it match full words only? An “NFL” keyword matched for a Bizarre Foods America episode in the last hour, I think because the description reads “Andrew tastes the cultural influences…”

Weirdly, Good Morning Football isn’t included as a match even though “NFL” is in its episode description as well.

As a workaround, I was able to get rid of the irrelevant non-NFL programs by setting genre filters “Football” and “Sports talk”.

Yeah, it's tough. On one hand, it's sort of a really edge case with that kind of "word" but also, a normal keyword for this kind of thing.

I'll look at what it would take to match JUST words, and what the performance hit is. It's important to remember that these rules are being processed over EVERY SINGLE CURRENT airing in your guide across every channel.

Will adding “” around a string of words for keyword search for that specific phrase? So “National Football League” only pulls sources with that exact phrase. Currently if I add those words I end up with National and football and league which obviously produces unwanted additions.

No, just type the phrase and hit enter and it will be tokenized as a single phrase.

I believe I've run into a bug.

I created a simple Automatic Channels Collection for Live Sports but none of my Apple clients are pulling in all of the results that they should. Like, the Guides in the web admin and on my Firestick are also pulling in the UFC prelims and Capital One's The Match but my iPhone, Mac, and Apple TVs are all ignoring those events for some reason.

What are the rules you have set.

I toggled the content type to Sports, put a check mark in the New box, and excluded HDHomeRun, Pluto, and Plex Live TV as sources--that's it. Then I added the collection to my Global Client Settings.

The channels it pulled in on the web guide and Firestick matched, but the Apple devices showed fewer channels. I thought there might be some weird client setting I was overlooking, but all the channels the Apple devices pulled in matched one another, and I don't have any special setting on my Mac or iPhone.

I have “Live” checked instead of “New” for my live sports channel collection. That seems seems to work for me, but I don’t watch UFC so I haven’t really paid attention to see if it pulls that programming.

I originally had both New and Live checked until I caught it ignoring a new event that was tape delayed because it happened on the other side of the globe.

I was worried that only checking the New box might pull in more results than just Live events (like Sports talk shows), but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. I've tested it with only New checked vs only Live checked and it produced the exact same results except for that one event.

This is actually most likely a bug on android. It’s probably too broad in its sports filtering. On Apple TV, sports means only sports events, not just any sports. Android may be including anything with the genre of sports.