Locast buffering issues

just upgraded to that, no change.

just for the hell of it, spun up an old vm and put channels on it (same method, docker install). actually, i already had channels on it, i had been using this as a test server a while back with both my channel mapper and mlb containers.

same issue. i give up. i don't know what else to do here...as much as i love channels, locast was literally the first reason i signed up and what i use it the most for. i just don't know that i can justify the cost if i can't figure out a way to resolve this.

Put it on a regular pc, no hypervisor, no crazy setups. Just install it on an os and test. If it works, you know it’s your crazy setup.

i would love to, but i don't have a spare PC to run it on at the moment without using something that's tasked to do something else (which i don't want to do). and the thing that is so uber-frustrating is that my "crazy setup" worked just fine for literally two years prior to this, then suddenly stopped working with no changes made in the middle...that's why i'm so annoyed and frustrated here. not to mention that my crazy setup isn't all that crazy to begin with...

I had an esxi server running for years with no issues until it had issues. Not because of a change or update, it just decided to shit itself. Had to nuke it and reinstall (same version) and it’s been running fine again. “Computers” suck. They just stop working for no damn reason sometimes.

Go buy a raspberry pie and test on that.

Can’t you run the server on cheap android stuff? Maybe a phone to test?

Stupid question but have you already tried rebooting your router and modem? Sometimes weird stuff can happen there too. Sorry you’re having such issues. I feel for you. You’ve made great contributions to the community so I hope we/you can figure it out soon.

1 Like

i haven't, but i'll give that a shot. not sure that will resolve anything though, i'd think if there were issues caused there i'd be seeing them everywhere and not just with one specific site...can't hurt though, i guess.

i appreciate the kind words. i have no desire to leave channels because the devs have always been so responsive and the support system is second to none, but if i can't figure this out i might as well just use the plex lifetime pass i already have and something like locast2plex to watch it there. i'm actually going to try to get that running anyway to emulate a tuner and see if the problem persists there...if not, at least then i know it's a channels issue and not a network issue.

1 Like

not sure if this is relevant (seems unlikely since this is today and this has been going on for me for a while now), but i'll leave this here as well in case the devs need to use it to fix anything.

Man, that’s the first thing to try. Clear that routing table on your router.

2 Likes

Have you tried it. Same issue?
I would think if you can watch from the same network using the same DNS server it proves something.
I can still watch even with my cancelled sub. Women's beach volleyball (semifinal) playing right now.
Using Cloudflare DNS. No buffering, only interrupted occasionally becasue of cancelled sub.

from the website no, but from their roku app yes. the roku app plays fine.

which is why i'm even more confused, because it's using the same hls.locastnet.org server channels is. i can see the dns requests coming through on my adguard.

@AeroR1 this is why i also doubt it's a router issue, otherwise the same issue would be happening with all devices on the network and that's not the case.

I thought TVE and Locast on Channels DVR used the website feeds and the apps use different feeds?
Like the apps may use adaptive streaming or a different feed?
What does it hurt trying to play from their website using a browser?

well, i have fhdhr running and i can view the streams in vlc, but can't get them into channels.

i think it's time for me to take a break on this before i break something, literally.

It seems like you’ve reached the part of the network debugging that consists of “use tcpdump to get a packet capture of the incident and inspect it”.

It looks like CAPTCP may be something helpful to identifying issues with this flow. At the very least it could show you your retransmission rates.

The sorts of timeouts that you're seeing really point to some sort of packet loss. Something that happens randomly like that generally has to do with congestion somewhere along the way. Using a tool like https://www.pingplotter.com can sometimes be helpful for identifying what happened on all of the steps along the way at the exact moment that you had the issue.

The only other thing I can think of is you're running into some sort of MTU Discovery/MSS Clamping issue. Have you happened to change your firewall at all regarding ICMP? Is your DVR in your house? Are you running across any VPNs?

no, yes, and no.

rebooting the router now. we'll see if this works, but i'm not optimistic.

as expected, rebooting the router didn't do a damn thing.

also, i apologize if i come across rude or short with anyone. please don't hold it against me. i'm just incredibly frustrated.

just installed the dvr on my mac mini. same issue.

finally got fhdhr up and running. same issue.

i give up. i don't know what to do at this point.