Locast Integration

I hope we didn't deter you from possibly adding NBC live stream. I'm sure many would appreciate having it available.

I think you should add NBC. It works fine here in Los Angeles with DTVN. Maybe work my other credentials as well.

UPDATE: As you start to add Local Channels it would be nice we had the option to assign a Channel Number to them. If not already available now. Examples: Here in LA OTA my locals are NBC=4, CBS=2, ABC=7, FOX=11.

If you support NBC I might disable my OTA NBC 4 and use yours if I can assign it to 4.

Will be interesting to see. Looks like they're owned by different companies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBC_television_affiliates_(table)), so perhaps some affiliates have granted rights but others have not.

1 Like

Would also like to add my support for adding NBC to TVE. See more in TVE Everywhere thread:

[TV Everywhere Beta Experiences]

Well the guide data on their site is still wrong but they are in fact streaming the correct local station for Murrells Inlet...

42%20PM

I don't see much issue with the quality of Locast, and those who donate are not supposed to see additional ads (although I still do I expect they will address this in the future). Here you can see they are streaming close to 3Mbps at 720p and at least to my eyes it looks close to or as good as most TVE streams...

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=2700000,RESOLUTION=1280x720

It works for me on Verizon FiOS. However they appear to be in SD

LOCAST NEWS: July 31, 2019

Today it was learned that ABC, CBS. Fox, and NBC are suing to shutdown Locast according to The Wall Street Journal. This comes after Dish and AT&T have used Locast to help support their fight with local ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC local TV stations.

Just a matter of time time. Wonder if Dish and Att will donate their lawyers also

2 Likes

I know this is a very old dead thread, but I am curious about the URL you linked. Does that manner of accessing Locast still work (assuming a DONATION account)?

https://api.locastnet.org/api/watch/stream/709/41.881832/-87.62317/?token=################################################ ]

I'd love to try this out but I don't know how to find my personal token. Any thoughts?

If you can find your token let me know. I've been trying to figure this out as well

Is anyone using Locast with success?
Does it show ads if you donate?
What about the quality?
Also, can you DVR the any of the channels provided?

Yes, many are.

Not ads for Locast, but regular broadcast ads, yes.

It's roughly ~2Mbps 720p AVC video, 192kbps stereo AAC audio.

You can record all of the channels available.

Thank you my fellow GCE (GetChannelEnthusiast)!
Do you feel like the video is choppy or grainy at all? Gotta make sure wifey is happy with it

1 Like

I wouldn't consider choppy or grainy, but the encoding quality is far inferior to broadcast. Broadcast television is ~5–10Mbps 720p/1080i H.262 MPEG-2 video, and audio is 384kbps AC-3/Dolby Digital (5.1 channel) for comparison.

thanks