Mac App Please!

Nothing new to report. Maybe next year when Marzipan is released to developers.

1 Like

Understood, makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Since Marzipan is in development, after Mojave is released, would there be a potential beta path?

2 Likes

Marzipan will not be available to developers until WWDC 2019, so the earliest we could release an app would be when macOS 10.15 is released in Fall 2019.

1 Like

I would love to join any beta for a Mac App if Marzipan is released to developers at WWDC.

1 Like

Just a ping on this. Some of the new Catalyst apps like Find My are actually quite good, and many more seem to be in the offing. I can imaging porting your custom MPEG2 video playback might be tricky, so I don't think anyone expects a "click and recompile" app. But let us know if you need some beta testing help!

I read a response in one of the forums that suggested that Channels DVR assumes that most users rarely use the browser page in favor of the Device Apps. One vote to the contrary. I watch about half my TV on my iMac 27” monitor. I have long experience with the now ailing EyeTV software which has (had?) an excellent Mac experience. I realize that Channels DVR has taken the universal internet app approach over EyeTV’s dedicated app, but still, there is much to be done to polish Channels DVR for the Mac.

I wrote the above before seeing this string and realizing that this is hardly and original request.

OSX 10.15 is here and it is time for a dedicated Channels DVR app for Mac.

I would make suggestions but EyeTV has already showcased them.

But EyeTV doesn’t work.

1 Like

Developers any update on a Channels DVR Mac OS app? Looks like WWDC 19 provided the tools for this, but we are now into 2020 with no beta? Glad to help and looks like the demand is there for this!

We don't have any updates on a macOS app. The tools Apple released last year did not do as much as one would have hoped to make it easier to make a macOS app. It still appears it would be a large amount of work and is not an area that we think is a priority at the moment compared to other things we are working on.

2 Likes

Did the recent Apple WWDC add any tools to eventually getting a native Mac App?

They mentioned that the new arm Macs will be able to run iPad and iPhone apps. Could it be possible for someone to use your iPad app to watch video on an arm Mac?

It’s something that we’ll be checking out. We won’t know until we see how it works more.

1 Like

I watch a significant portion of my TV on my 27” desktop screen. I understand that the web based Channels app is really a server-server and must retain that fictionality, but would prefer the look and feel that I get on my iPad.

A dedicated Mac app?

I believe this has been requested before and the Devs have replied that it’s unlikely to happen. I would say that is probably going to be even more true now considering the new Apple Silicon Macs that will be released soon will be able to run iOS apps natively. So on those, it’ll happen pretty much automatically with no development effort.

@tmm1 @maddox @eric

Great shame a macOS version doesn't seem to be on the agenda.
Would buy it in a flash - already own iOS/

Have used EyeTV for many years on my Macs but the newly-released 64-bit version is a disaster and (seemingly deliberately) doesn't support the Silicon Dust devices anymore, and the old good 32-bit version won't run on anything after High Sierra. HDHomerun's own app is usable but basic, not a patch on Channels.

Still think there is a gap in the market ... any chance you will reconsider?

New Macs that run on the M1 Apple silicon are capable of running many iPhone and iPad apps natively. The iOS Channels app runs fine in macOS Big Sur on these machines. You can download it from the Mac App Store. :slight_smile:

I know it's been a while but this was useful for me!!

Just got one of the new iMacs and it runs perfectly. Hadn't even thought of using the iPad app!

2 Likes

It's working great on my m1 MBP as well.

1 Like

I just found this out as well after browsing the Mac App Store. Unfortunately, my Macbook has an Intel chip so the app will not function on my laptop. I'm currently unable to use the Channels app on my old devices because my Apple TV and projector (among many other valuables) were stolen from my car a while moving to another state, so I'm almost exclusively forced to use Channels via my browser and, as we know, the UI is terrible.

Has anyone found a workaround to get a smoother, more user-friendly/visually pleasing experience on laptops/computers? Perhaps integrating Channels with a third-party software (Plex perhaps?) I've just been having too many issues on Chrome/Safari/Firefox and really want to find something that more closely resembles the layout and overall experience that the iPad/AppleTV/etc apps offer.