Mac Mini static IP address

Im wondering if I need to static the IP address on my Mac Mini for Channels DVR to ensure it doesn’t mess up my port forwarding if the internet goes out or if I need to reboot the mini? I currently have it set to use DHCP. I thought someone else posted about setting it to manual messes up using the channels app away from home?

you dont need to as such (if you are using automatic port forwarding) but its a good idea for machines running network services to be assigned a static Ip and best to do it from your router

Cox doesn’t allow residential customers to do static IP only business customers.

Static IP addresses on your internal network work just fine as Cox has no control over them. A static IP address for your cable modem is for business customers. Regardless, a mac mini acting as a server on your internal network should have a static IP address. Otherwise you just asking for issues to pop up.

@mjbomar - with your router on your internal network you may be able to assign a "static" IP to each device by associating the IP you choose with the unique MAC address of each device, such as the machine used for the Channels DVR or each of the devices used as Channels clients and any HDHomeRun tuners you may have - it's what I do on my internal home network and it minimizes issues.

See this article on ProTips for networking and the "DHCP Reservation" section.

I think part of the issue is that I get my equipment from Cox and I've called several times and they've told me they don't allow residential customers to use static IPs on their equipment. So I'm assuming if I bought my own equipment this might be possible. However, I'd prefer not to continue to drop money like that. So I'm thinking my only real solution here is to configure the Mac Mini to a static IP.

But, How do I do this on the Mac Mini and continue to have my Channels DVR run smoothly? I read in a different thread someone mentioned when they configured their Mac Mini to Manual it messed things up for them and when they had it set to Using DHCP it worked. Mine is currently set to Using DHCP.

Please keep the conversation in one thread.