Mac OS BigSur?

How the the “iPad app” version of channels work on the new Mac? Or is it available there?

Not available -- the developers have (understandably) opted out until they have had a chance to test it.

I expect it should be just fine once that's set.

I'd like to make the DVR do this automatically, but it needs to be able to detect that it is inside Rosetta2 first. Do you mind submitting diagnostics from your DVR so I can see what kind of values are available for this check.

I concur, Channels DVR is freezing each 2 or 3 days on my 16 MB M1 MacMini.

Click and hold the check for update button

Wow, 8 GB is awesome -- how much Swap memory is being used, and do you use your Mac mini M1 for anything else (Backblaze, Plex, etc.)?

No other services running on the Mac mini, other than the system content caching service.

Currently I have 6.5GB of RAM used, and 2.15GB of swap used. But only 1.7GB of memory use is wired... the rest can be paged out without swapping, so memory pressure is very low (most memory being 'used' here is just macOS speculatively keeping files paged in in case they are needed again, but those pages are immediately available for other uses if needed). I'm currently on a Zoom call and also have three fairly active Slack tabs open in Safari. My Mac is connected to a very high-resolution display running at a scaled resolution of 6016x2538.

1 Like

Thanks! So are you feeling good about 8GB? I was afraid it wouldn’t be enough, but I intend for M1 mini to only be used as a headless media server.

• Screens,
  • SuperDuper!,
  • BackBlaze,
  • iCloud photo sync,
  • Channels,
  • Plex (when it’s native) and
  • Very occasionally: AirPlay video mirroring with Chrome and Netflix Party when I wanna chat while watching a Netflix show.

I have no regrets whatsoever about 8GB. I'd expect it to be far more than adequate for your needs as well.

Apple Stores (and the Apple online store) have a great return/exchange policy so you can always buy from there and send it back if you find that you need the 16GB.

1 Like

I’m mostly looking forward to lower power consumption (looks like I’ll save around $85 annually assuming peak power usage all year long for both machines)… and no fan noise — the faster comskip is a nice bonus.