Major slowdowns when scrubbing through TVE channels on Apple TV

I’m noticing major slow downs, almost to the point of being unwatchable on Apple TV when attempting to scrub through the timeline of TVE channels. The interesting part is that I’m not seeing any of these issues on Pluto channels as scrubbing is instantaneous and the video resumes instantly. I have a mix of Apple TV HD’s as well as 4K’s. It’s so bad on the HD’s that scrubbing the timeline is next to impossible - again only when watching TVE content. It’s much less prevalent on the 4K’s, however it’s still noticeable. If this were due to a lack of processing power on the HD’s, or related to tvOS 16, I would expect this behavior to be present across not only TVE channels, but also Pluto channels as well. I certainly hope this can be fixed as it greatly takes away from the joy of watching TV…

Is this happening on Discovery TVE channels or something else?

I’ve seen this on HGTV, Food and Motor Trend channels which I believe are owned by Discovery?

I tested the new Experimental TV Everywhere MPEG-TS Rewriter and can’t say I’ve noticed any difference. Furthermore, it would appear that I don’t see any of these issues when scrubbing through the timeline on my personal movie library (ripped from DVD’s). Apparently there is much more overhead when scrubbing through Channels recorded content.

I'm running all appletv 4ks hard wired. I have zero issues scrubbing on any content (ota, tve, imports).

It’s much more prevalent on Apple TV HD”s, however I’d hate to have to replace all of them just for this issue as everything else seems to work just fine…

There are known issues with discovery recordings from the past two weeks.

Does it happen on other channel recordings?

Did you test the new rewriter with a new recording? It won't affect old recordings.

I did more testing and this issue is occurring across all channels with my Apple TV HD’s both with and without the new experimental settings. I did test this with brand new recordings across multiple channels.

Also, note that when the new experimental settings are enabled, I am seeing very choppy playback of live TV, especially on news channels, such as Newsmax with a ticker at the bottom. I realize that this is only supposed to affect recorded TV, however I can confirm this behavior, as each time I enable the experimental feature, the choppiness returns and as soon as I disable it and restart the server, the choppiness completely subsides.

The Experimental rewritter effects both live tv and recording.

Thanks for the heads up, that would explain why I’m seeing this issue on live TV. For now I have disabled this feature. Will test it again in the future…

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.