Multiple HD Homeruns

I am only a few weeks into using Channels DVR, so probably not understanding some things that more experienced users are familiar with. I initially added a single HD Homerun Connect Quatro. I found with the number or recordings I have going that I'd sometimes get "no tuner available" when trying to view live TV. So I just added a 2nd identical HD Homerun... now 8 tuners. I added the 2nd one. It didn't automatically see it, so I got the IP address and input it, then added it. The odd thing is that the channels it picked up are different. They are identical HDHRs with a splitter feeding them from the same antenna.

On My.HDHomerun.com, one says 43 channels and one says 53 channels. I assume this is because I disabled some of the channels on the HDHR side, but I can't remember how I did that. But on the Channels DVR settings, it shows 53 and 59 channels, respectively. How could Channels have more channels than the HDHR provides.

I am going to go in and deselect the same channels on both in my.hdhomrerun.com so that part is consistent.

Thanks

I guess the 2nd HDHR needed to rescan. It wasn't picking up the ION channels, but I rescanned on the HDHR side and it picked then up. I then hid the same channels on both, and now both show 40 channels in HDHR and 59 channels in Channels DVR settings. Seems like that shouldn't be possible.

One thing I'm really confused about is the following:

• I can hide or favorite channels in HDHR
  • I can hide or favorite channels in the web based Channels DVR settings, which I think of as the "server".
  • I can hide or favorite channels in the Channels DVR apps on iOS, TVOS, Android, etc.

How do these hide/favorites relate to each other? Its a bit confusing.

The tuner and the server are kept in sync. Android clients used to also be kept in sync with the tuner/server; that has changed with the latest Android betas.

Current Android betas pull their initial favorites/disabled channels from the tuner/server, but then further changes are kept local on the client. The newer betas introduced the ability to re-sync: you can pull the server/tuner states to overwrite the client, or you can send the client's lists to the server/tuner to make those match the client.

Apple clients pull the initial states from the server/tuner on first run. After that, the channel settings are only local to the client.

There are plans to revamp how Channels handles these settings and syncs them. There are a lot of moving parts to get lined up just right. The devs know this situation is a mess, and they are working on it.

1 Like

The HDHR tuners themselves store hidden and favorite flags for each channel. So doing so via the Channels DVR web UI or via the tuner's web UI is effectively the same thing. So that part, at least, it consistent.

What's confusing is how the favorite/hidden status on the Channels DVR is or is not synced to the playback client.

1 Like

Excuse our mess right now, we have channel sync planned for later this year. Because the android clients worked differently then the iOS clients, we had to get them working the same in order to roll out channel sync.

Such is how big features like this have to be rolled out. Now that everything is working the same, we can work on getting channel sync into beta soon.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for that... your transparency about stuff like this is a breath of fresh air, and can't wait to see what you come up with on this!

1 Like