Music Library/Player

I'm sure this has been asked before but damn if I can find it: Is there any plan to add music to Channels? The reason I ask is because the ONLY reason I continue to maintain a PLEX server is for music. I personally don't care about most of the fancy stuff PLEX does with music -- lyrics, radio, etc. Those features are cool but I have a box full of tech junk that I bought because I thought it was cool but never really use. All I want is to scan and identify the library and album art would be nice --- and play the music of course :slightly_smiling_face: I know that things are never as simple as the seem to non-developers like me. Just wondering if this is on the road-map.

1 Like

No plans, probably never going to happen.

Bummer. Was afraid you would say that. I was already dreaming of virtual channels that play music from my library. Plex will just have to stay in the stack.

Thanks for the quick response.

2 Likes

Does Plex wash the dog yet?
Attempt at tongue-in-cheek humer, supposedly does everything else.
I have a lifetime sub, but gave it up years ago.
It is a great media library.

What do you use for music? Would be nice to have a thinner platform since music is all I need.

Never used Plex for music.
I use different software depending on client played on.
Not a large enough music library to warrant anything else.
I got Plex for the Live TV and DVR promises.

I'm sure you'll find an answer here where the experts hang out.

1 Like

I use Apple Music now, which works on nealry everything, uploaded my local collection and now just search and add to library new things, so much eaiser than my old style of just finding downlaod somewhere, or rip my self from disc, then put on phone or device, and have to tweak and use seperate music app on each device, PowerAmp ws awesome EQ, but is Android phone only.

I also imported my music collection about 80GB (most FLAC) into my Emby media server...it did ok, had to go through and manually fix/or add metadata on a bunch of songs and albums, but that may be because the files themselves meta was not exactly perfect.

Anyway, Channels DVR is just that, a DVR and thats it. It will never be a full home media server with Live TV and DVR, like Emby or Plex.
Its focus and design is Live TV and DVR, a good "cable box" replacement.
They have kinda expanded a bit, u can add you own files now to your library, some may find that good enough for their home media server needs, but others find it sub-par compared to matured dedicated media servers softwares.

Thanks for taking the time with this. I have tried a lot of the same things including Apple Music and Amazon music. I'm just not a fan of cloud platforms and being dependent on a stable internet connection for things to work. The moment the internet goes down, or their business model changes or their stock tanks, you're either completely hosed or you're stuck with a subscription fee. I have a box of plastic tech junk that I used to like but it's useless now because it's no longer supported. So my litmus test for all my tech is will it work if I unplug my modem. I've managed to pull it off with most of my platforms: Channels, Plex, Home Assistant, etc. There are annoying exceptions but I'm 95% there.

I think I will just stick with Plex for music. It plays nice in Docker and since I don't use it for anything else, it shouldn't eat a lot of resources.

Thanks again for your input.

Apple music is different then like spotify or whatever.
yes, u can go full online stream mode, but it also does offline independant.
I can download the music library to the phone/device, and use the app localy as well as stream songs not in the local library when i have a internet conenction.
(this works best on iphone of coruce)

A thought.
You already are using a "cloud" platform if you use Plex, since you have to have a connection over the internet (or local network) in order to stream the music to your device. The cloud is just personal and located at your location. Plex can shut down, or chance their product model at any time and screw you over same as anyone else.

I can not connect to my Emby server at work, due to their network firewall restrictions, so i have to use Mobile data. Apple music, when i use online mode, uses far less bandwidth and data compared to Emby raw streaming the FLAC or WAV files.

1 Like

I would also like to see this added. Seeing that you now import videos, why not?

1 Like

Devs seems pretty adamant about never going the music or photos route.