Name IP addresses in DVR

Is there a way that we can add labels to the IP addresses that we see in the Activity section on the web admin page?

It would be nice if I could change the IP to a name like "Living Room ATV4"

Even better would be to assign name to the MAC address since that never changes. :blush:

I imagine it's possible, but you would either have to have them mapped in the hosts file on the computer running the DVR server, or have local name resolution set up on your internal LAN with your own DNS. (This is probably quite difficult to keep up-to-date on most systems, especially as addresses are most likely handed out over DHCP and subject to changing.)

That sounds like a good idea, but it would be yet another mapping to keep up. It would require you to map that IP or MAC address to that Name in Channels.

If / When you move that ATV4 from Living Room to Bedroom / GuestRoom / Office / GameRoom / etc. and forget to change the mapped Name it gets confusing. (i.e. using a hosts file you forget to update)

Why does it show the Living Room ATV4 watching ch23.1 when it's actually the Guest Room ATV4 watching it?

I just keep a spreadsheet/text file with column 1 MAC Address, column 2 IP Address and column 3 Device Name and refer to that. I also use that to set reserved IP addresses on my router for my devices.

Non-Windows systems already have the mechanism in place to resolve IP addresses into hostnames (hosts file, hosts(5)), and ethernet/MAC addresses into hostnames (ethers(5).

(Even Windows has a hosts file, but I think ethers might be BSD specific. While BSD-only takes Windows and Linux our of the picture, it still leaves FreeBSD and macOS with this option if they have kept it.)

My point exactly.
The technology is there to do it, but it falls on the user to create the MAC/IP to Name mapping.
Name it Home Theatre ATV4k and move it to your Guest Room, now what is it?
It's still up to the user to map it, unless there's a new geo-fencing technology that senses when you move it to another room and renames it?

Only way around it I can think of is name them Ralph-1, Ralph-2, etc. or ATV-1, ATV4k-1, ATV-2, ATV4k-2, etc. and put a sticker with thier name on them. :smiley:

I guess that's just something I'm willing to manage. It was just an idea...

Could run local DNS (including a reverse zone) and use fixed DHCP IPs for known devices. I use a setup a like this for my local network.

Bumping this up as I think this would be a nice feature for managing my devices that I have connected to the DVR.

This should be possible without any end user changes. This is what gets reported in my Emby log. Is this what you're looking for?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

When did this happen???

:smiley: