NEW: DVR Server + Tailscale integration, for easier Away from Home access (Experimental)

It looks like there’s something funny going on with your subnet routes and how we have our Tailscale integration setup. I’m very surprised this wouldn’t Just Work. Can you confirm that other Tailscale clients that aren’t on the same network as the 10.0.0.0/8 hosts are able to reach that .40 endpoint over Tailscale?

Yep my thoughts too!
My whole tailnet is able to reach the 10.0.0.0/8 subnets.
The .40 is reachable (I’m actually away from home now, and able to hit the .40 on my phone over Tailscale.

But what I don’t understand is why is it even messing with the playlist creation/addition etc? That shouldn’t even be a problem since that’s on the LAN to the server…
That Tailscale address should just be used for listening to rather than changing the entire ip table of the container?

I also don’t understand why no one else numbed into this yet :joy:

1 Like

Because the way we’ve hooked into Tailscale with our integration is taking any IP that is exposed as a route over Tailscale and sending it over the tunnel. What should be happening is the connection should go over Tailscale to the tunnel to the subnet router and then to the destination (because we don’t have an easy way to identify what is local and what isn’t).

We currently tunnel anything that is exposed over Tailscale via Tailscale, but it may make sense to only try to connect to IPs in the main Tailscale netblock over Tailscale.

I’m guessing there aren’t a lot of folks that have enabled the subnet routing on Tailscale…

I’ll see about adjusting the logic when I get a chance…

Thanks for the responses Eric much appreciated, I’ve got an alternative work around at the moment but glad it’s just not me going crazy and doing something dumb!
Let me know if I can be of help to test this when you guys get around to it, happy to help.

Looks like the Windows issue with reconnecting is a bug in Tailscale that we will need to figure out how to fix or work around.

1 Like

This should fix the Windows auto-login issue.

3 Likes

I just started with T-Mobile, Will tailscale work with Western digital?

1 Like

Are you talking about a Western Digital NAS -- or what exactly?

One of the great things about Tailscale is that it is unaffected by multiple layers of NAT (Network Address Translation), which includes things like the CGNAT use by most cellular providers.

If you are talking about a WD NAS, basically anything that runs Windows, macOS, or Linux can run Tailscale. In addition, Tailscale is available in various app stores for install on phones and tablets. Though not totally mandatory, Tailscale is at its best when run directly on the device.

1 Like

Just to follow up on this should anyone have issues with using Tailscale for Subnet routing. I had an issue on my tailnet, where another Exit-Node was advertising the exact same routes so clearly were clashing. Once I turned that off everything working as expected.

@Eric thanks for the help troubleshooting

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm currently using Internet Provider GoNetSpeed which uses CGNAT.

Found this option to use Tailscale remotely.
I have it enabled but I still cannot access remotely. I even installed the APP on my Shield and its the same.
I have tried the my.channelsdvr.net and I have tried just using both IP addresses given by Tailscale.

thanks

Install Tailscale on the dvr server machine (or enable the option on the dvr settings page at the bottom). Install Tailscale on the client device. To connect, on the client app choose “at home” then enter the tail net ip to your server. That’s it.

You will also no longer be able to use my.channelsdvr.net to reach your server because of the cgnat. To reach your server while remote you would enable Tailscale on the device you are using and use the tail net ip to get to the server. Ie
http://100.x.x.x.x:8089

I was hoping for simple. Thank you it works now.

2 Likes

Is it possible to add a "Tailscale" option in the client connect menu that will auto discover the server?

2 Likes

What url address do I use to access my remote dvr, through tailscape, using a web browser?

The tailnet IP of your Channels DVR server.
For example, if the tailnet IP is 100.100.100.100 and your Channels DVR server is on port 8089
if Tailscale is running on your server (and not the built-in Channels DVR Tailscale)
http://100.100.100.100:8089
if using the built-in Channels DVR Tailscale
http://100.100.100.100

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. I tried both and neither worked. I received a server not responding error.

Both your server and the machine your trying to access the server with must have Tailscale installed. Did you do this? Try installing the mobile app on your phone and see if you can reach your server from that.

And both have to be connected to your tailnet.

1 Like

Oh, that might be the problem. I have an LG TV and I am using TV's browser. The TV does not have tailscale installed.