New episode didn't record because old episode aired instead

This is a bit of an edge case but I wonder if something can be done about it?

There's times where a network will air an older episode in place of a newer one for whatever reason. This recently happened with NCIS last week. So this week, we didn't get the new episode because Channels had already "recorded" it last week.

I think if I would have deleted the older episode the DVR it probably would have recorded it?

However, It would be nice if the DVR recorded all episodes that that are tagged as NEW that are in the same timeslot (same channel, same time, same day of the week) regardless of it whether that episode was ever previously recorded it. I think that's probably the only sure way to fix this.

NCIS, along with FBI and FBI: Most Wanted after it all aired old episodes or other programming because of the coverage from the Derek Chauvin verdict. NBC did something similar a month or so ago; the guide didn't have time to update, and the new episodes aired the following week.

This was a guide/programming issue, and actually had nothing to do with Channels. When the new episodes that were supposed to air re-air, Channels will record them then, because they will again be marked "New".

When the new episodes that were supposed to air re-air, Channels will record them then, because they will again be marked "New".

Nope, that didn't happen for me. It was marked as NEW in the guide but since Channels thought it had already recorded S18S12 it didn't record thinking it was a dupe, hence my post.

You're right. The previous time this happened with NBC for the Chicago shows did re-record without intervention. But tonight's programs did not re-record without intervention.

Get into the DVRs' web admin page (hostname:8089), then click on DVR->Passes, then click on the down arrow to the right of one of the passes and choose "Advanced".

After doing that, you'll find "Re-record deleted episodes" checkbox.

So, in your situation, had this box been checked, and had you deleted the mis-identified re-run, I think it would've recorded the second airing.

1 Like

For times like this, I really wish that one could mark an individual item as not-recorded at any time (I know you can if it reappears in the guide, but you need to police it).

Agree, it's been asked for many times.