Channels for Roku?

We tested the mpeg2 decoder on the Rokus and unfortunately it barely works. No deinterlacing and it can take up to 10s to play video. mpeg2 videos from the HDHR PRIME use special cable markers and do not play at all.

Got it, that is unfortunate. Thanks for the reply.

What about a DVR app that plays transcoded streams only, that is how the web ui works isn't it?

2 Likes

I still have the old app on my roku and that’s basically what I use it for. It even works with the TVE feature.

1 Like

Can you still get this channels dvr beta Roku app? I have a Roku tv that I have to use an Apple TV on just for channels. I dumped TiVo for channels dvr.

https://my.roku.com/add/CHANNELSDVR

I created a new account here just to add support for an official, full featured Roku app. I've used Tablo and I am currently running Plex, but Channels DVR seems the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, I have 5 Roku Ultra's and won't go through the expense of changing them all out just to be Channels compatible. Not only that, but the Roku is very user (and wife) friendly.

I currently stream MPEG-2 from Plex with a bitrate of 8Mbps - 12Mbps without any issue. The Roku ultra handles it just fine. The only semi issue I see is it takes a few extra seconds to initially buffer the MPEG-2 stream (5 seconds instead of 2 seconds).

Even if MPEG-2 wasn't officially supported with Roku's, I wouldn't mind transcoding to MPEG4 or HEVC H.265. Using MCEBuddy to create the automatic conversion is easy enough. I also find that using HEVC H.265 provides a stream with almost no noticeable loss in quality versus the MPEG-2 original stream. If I could maintain all the other functionality, a requirement to transcode to work with Roku wouldn't be a deal breaker.

You can put in a vote for me to add Roku support. If you do develop a full featured Roku app, you can count me in as a customer.

2 Likes

I bought the Channels monthly to test out w/ 3 Roku's. Currently, I do not see anything on my Roku's.
After setting up the DVR on my NAS without making too many changes, when I fire up the Channels app in Roku all I see is On Now, Up Next, Movies and nothing else on the screen.

I would love to see a guide of some sort.

Agreed, the current (non-support experimental) Roku app is pretty much worthless. I understand that isn't their focus, but it would be so nice if they would work on a full feature app.

Since I am not worried about live TV through Roku, I am using Plex to play back the recorded programs from Channels. Plex's Roku app does a nice job of organizing and playing back the Channels DVR recorded programs. I just wish I didn't have to use this as a semi-workaround.

How are you getting the guide for live tv?

I have one Nvidia Shield device that I use for my main TV. However, you can also get the guide via the web interface. You can then 'cast' the show to your Roku by clicking on the show and hitting the drop-down next to the Watch Now button. You should see your Roku listed there. Selecting the Roku will cast it to that device.

On channels roku beta app, the on now only shows channels that have been favorited on server. Recorded shows show in up next

The app isn't worthless, it just doesn't have the full set of features. For me, the app works for exactly what I need it for which is for live tv only and maybe some recorded. I will schedule recordings from the web UI or my AppleTVs that I have in other places of the house that we frequent more. I'm thankful that the app is atleast still available even with the minimum features that it has.

Fair enough, I understand it might not be worthless to everyone. However, the user experience is not very good (in my opinion). There is no guide view, it doesn't seem to support commercial skip or thumbnails for FF/RW. It just has a very limited appeal.

Channels DVR is great, but the Roku experience is probably the biggest drawback.

I'm seeing Roku as a casting destination from the web interface now. But interestingly, my other streaming device - Fire TV Stick - that used to be on this casting destinations is gone now! Does this mean Channels only allow one streaming device casting option at a time?

I'm not really sure on that, good question. Do you need to cast to your fire TV stick though? Doesn't it have a proper guide with the fireTV app?

It's because of the way I consume media. Unless it's something that I want to see on a big screen - like a movie -, I start watching my recordings on my iPad. From there, if I think it's worthwhile for my family, then I cast it on a bigger screen for their viewing.

I feel like the discussion on this thread is a good representation of why we haven't put more effort into the Roku app.

Many people have many different expectations about what it can and should do and what they would be happy with. One of the big things we have to manage as application creators is both the needs of the current customer base as well as the experience for brand new customers signing up in the future. Having an app that doesn't contain all of the features we advertise is a really bad experience for new people who don't have the years of context on this site.

Because we don't currently have the capacity to devote the required time and energy into making the Roku app function with all of the features of the other apps, and because of some of the limitations we've found with the Roku platform that would make it more difficult to reach complete feature parity with the other apps, we have made the decision to not devote more energy to the Roku platform at this time.

As we continue to make improvements to our applications we continue to listen to all of the feedback we get and reprioritize things as it makes sense, so we always appreciate the discussions that everyone has. It gives us (and the rest of the community) more of an idea of the varying ways that people watch things and helps us as we make these decisions going forward.

5 Likes

That makes sense, but I am not sure why your FireTV is no longer showing up in the 'cast' drop-down. Do you still have the Plex App installed on the FireTV? Maybe it will disappear if there is no app installed on it. Sorry, I wish I could be of more help.

1 Like

I just got an email from Silicon Dust saying there are numerous improvements to it. Does the below mean that maybe this Roku Beta Client app could now work much better than prior versions of HDHR?

" Web and Roku Accessible Recordings:

We have also upgraded the HDHomeRun DVR Engine and web access. It's easier than ever to reach your HDHomeRun device. After upgrading, visit a web browser and type http://hdhomerun.local. You'll be taken directly to your HDHomeRun device.

And if you have a SCRIBE or SERVIO, or if you navigate to your HDHomeRun Record Engine, you can now browse and even access your recordings directly from the web page!

Recordings are also accessible from Roku devices. Support for recordings has been available in the Roku channel for quite some time, but now all Record Engines are fully updated to support this service. "

Or is this only speaking of the SCRIBE and SERVIO?