No audio on an ATSC3 channel for the DVR

I have three ATSC3 channels. Two of them I get audio fine. One of them has no audio whether in the browser, Android app, or iOS app. I understand this may be an audio codec issue from searching elsewhere, but I already tried Settings->Playback->Advanced->Audio Driver->Experimental in the app with no improvement. Any ideas? Diagnostic Logs submitted 4cdc3fb1-00ee-417d-bc9c-948f41d0aa61

Thanks

Which market?

Are you using stable DVR / ios app or prerelease + testflight?

Los Angeles. I am using the regular iOS and Android apps. I think I was on the pre-release for the DVR so I just tried changing to stable and now it says up to date 2023.09.30.1316 (not sure if it can convert to stable that quickly or if I have to wait for the next Stable release to downgrade), but still no audio.

What channel, specifically? If it's KTLA 105.1, as of yesterday I'm experiencing the same, but it's also happening in the HDHomeRun app, too.

You could call the station engineer.

ATSC3 is a new technology and things are very much in flux. It is expected that things will not work perfectly.

yes KTLA 105.1. OK thanks for confirming it is a known issue for everyone

As of yesterday I’m not getting audio from this channel, even while trying to watch live directly via the HDHomeRun app. The other ATSC3 channel, KTTV (111.1) works fine.

my mistake I was watching the ATSC1 feed live. when I watched ATSC3 live no audio either.

I emailed them thanks https://ktla.com/about-ktla/contact-us/submit-feedback-to-the-ktla-5-engineering-department

1 Like

Thanks for that, I submitted the same feedback. Fingers crossed it gets fixed ASAP.

he already replied and said it is fixed (confirmed myself too)

Well how about that?! I just received a personalized email reply from Wayne Manous, KTLA's Engineering Operations Coordinator, sharing all of his contact information, and sure enough, 105.1 has sound again!

It is fixed now. If this occurs again, just switch to 5.1 ATSC 1.0 instead of 3.0 and of course send me a note :blush:

1 Like

For what it's worth, now Fox's ATSC3 broadcast (on 111.1) has a different issue I hadn't noticed before:

did you try to contact Fox 11 LA? Unfortunately I'm not seeing a direct Engineering contact, but if you have some time to call or just copy multiple email addresses from this page with the issue hopefully you'll get a quick resolution like KTLA Contact Us

Thanks. Just curious, are you noticing the same black border on KTTV 111.1 now? I sent an email to [email protected]. More fingers crossed that this gets fixed ASAP.

yes I see it, but to be honest I would never pay attention to that detail the way I would to missing audio, so I didn't pursue repair myself. I did compare to something that recorded yesterday, and the border did not exist, so it seems to be a new thing. I don't have two copies of the same show from yesterday and today to compare though, so I would defer to your confirmation on that. Hope they are able to help and definitely interested to know the outcome if you have a chance to let us know.

Wow, this has been an eye-opening experience, and I appreciate the direction you've pointed me!
Because within minutes, I received this reply from [email protected]:

Hi,
Thank you for reaching out. I just heard the following from our Engineering department, so you should see this improve at some point this morning:

Yep valid issue. Has to do with a configuration change we made earlier today. Will fix asap.

Thank you for watching :blush:

How cool is that? I feel like I've done two good deeds for cord-cutting Los Angelenos today :slight_smile:

1 Like

And some of us a little bit south of there.