Nvidia Shield TV - Buffering Issues

Is your HDHR Prime firmware fully updated?

Yup, verified everything this running the latest firmware.

Thanks for the info! Definitely sounds like you know your stuff. I think I have to work on getting the splitter right on this. So here's my problem, I have 1 person that just wants to use a cable box. So I have to support 1 cable box, 1 modem, and 1 HDHR. Eventually I'd like to add a second HDHR Prime to the mix (already have it). I'm thinking of getting a simple 3 way splitter and another line ran, but that second HDHR I want to add later throws me off. If I just worry about what I have now I was going to get this simple splitter. They also have a balanced version of this splitter as well (-5.5).

Then I also noted they had a lossless 4 way powered splitter which seemed like a no brainer.

I think going simple and splitting this line as little as possible is the way to go right now. Just wanted to get feedback on this.

I would stay away from a lossless splitter honestly. Only go with something like that to solve a problem and really if you need amplification I would go with a traditional amplifier installed at your groundblock. I doubt you need an amp honestly.
Loss is ok in most cases. The signal coming into your house is usually a bit hot becuase of the anticipated loss from attenuation and splitters.

This is what I would get. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LMLP4QM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_60BWV26DZTXB4QPN0RC5

Best place for this is at your groundblock (where your cable enters the house or in the attic if that's where the cable terminates)

The link is for a 3 way splitter but you can select a 4 way as well. If you use the 3 way, put your modem on the 3.5 leg and then your cable card and set top box on the 7 leg. Check your HDHR signal on multiple channels via the webui and make sure you are OK. I'm not sure how it measures signal but generally anything down to -10dbmv is ok. Also check your cable modems status page and make sure it is downstream and upstream levels are good. You can post them here and I'll take a look if you like.

Are you set for cables cause that's a point of failure as well. Twist on connectors, cheap molded cables, really bad. Also builders are notorious for terrible connectors on the reverse side of your wall plate. I used to go behind other techs and find that after the customer still had issues.

Ordered the splitter you recommend. I think the cable is good. I had a new line put in about a year ago specifically for this. I just have to call to have them run another line.

another option, when you ready to add second HDHR, is run the modem and box on the -7 lines, and then do a 2-way split at the HDHRs for both of them. That way everything is of equal attenuation. If the HDHR works on the current -7, then it will still work when you split the -3.5 for a total of -7 on the two HDHRs.

Good idea, thanks!

Tuning Adapters are the spawn of the devil. Spectrum's are especially flaky.

1 Like

The secondary cable line is getting installed shortly. This will put a single splitter between the line coming into my house and the HDHR. I'll give it a couple days and report back.

Any improvement here?

Could you also try the new alpha build in this thread: Nvidida Shield dropping frames/skipping while watching live TV

Sorry, the end of year is super busy over here and I'm just now coming back to this. I have to say the latest release made a huge difference, not only am I not seeing any buffering issues but the picture quality is noticeably better. When watching live sports like football I'd often see large pixelated squares in the grass, especially near players feet. This is completely gone in with the latest release! A big thanks for both to the developers and to the community for the help on this.

The only thing that I have noticed since the latest release is also with live sports. I've noticed that the ball, whether I'm watching soccer or football, is semi transparent when there is a lot of movement. I typically only notice this on a deep pass in football or a long pass in soccer. It makes watching a big play difficult at times as you loose sight on what's happening. I haven't had a change to see if I have this same issue with other Live TV apps provided by Google or HDHomeRun. I can always open up a new issue/troubleshooting thread if needed as my original problem has been resolved.