Nvidia Shield - Video Skips and Slips out of Sync After a While

Thanks, yes this I know, and it was set to Enhanced already. I see how my reply could've been confusing, I was speaking in terms of trying to turn the AI Upscaler off entirely, and "Basic" was the only option that was closest to "Off" without having that option.

It does seem like it has something to do with the Surround Sound setting on mine, as I haven't noticed the issue shown in the video above once it was disabled. It's a shame that it has to be off, but it's not the biggest deal. Had my fingers crossed that it was some obviously noticeable bug that could be addressed via diagnostics, but I'm not feeling good about it now.

U could ask in the Nvidia fourms, but i do not think there is a way to fully disable the built in Upscaling.

The only other test you could do is to use a monitor/tv that is the native resolution of your source content. so if u have 1080 source, and 1080 tv, and still have the issue with Surround sound on, but not off, then it probably is not an issue with the upscaling factor.

The only issues i have had with the Channels DVR Surround Sound option was that some channels gave no sound, as i figured that was due to it doing pass through to the 2.0 cheapo sound bar, and that it could not decode 5.1.

The Shield does have its own Audio/Video Sync adjustment setting u can mess with, i think default is 50ms. I have read that some folks who need to adjust this to be longer in the case that their separate AV equipment like AV receiver adds a greater delay.
I don't know if this setting is a stock ATV thing or not...or xclusive to the Shield.

Yup, I've messed with that before and also the delay on my AVR.

I think my title has caused some confusion here. My audio, whether it be set to Surround or not, is perfectly in sync. However, when it's set to Surround, after so long, the framerate goes all wonky. I can't find any pattern to this. At first I thought that, after so long of viewing, however the Shield or DVR server caches what I watched was just not up to it anymore (I don't know how it works in the back end) or that I was having some network trouble which I don't believe to be the case. But at this point I'm not so sure because yesterday it happened after only a few minutes of viewing a channel.

This is something I never noticed on my Shield 2017 model. I can switch it out and see if there are any issues if I'm really feeling curious about it.

jpblanch75's issue seems to be that his Android TV is just not in sync at all, which is a bit different from my issue. However his solution to turn off Surround seems to have stopped my framerate issue from popping up, which I wouldn't have thought of. It's a shame, but honestly the AVR is doing a pretty decent job on its own and I can't say I'm "missing" the surround from broadcast. Everything else I stream will still be native surround, so I can't complain.

I was just hoping there'd be something stupid obvious in a log that would be an easy fix or something, but I'm glad there's at least that quick way to get it to stop. Phew. So if there's no other known or clear fix, we can close this up here :slight_smile:

Thanks for the further insight.
What u mention, is the exact issue i had with Emby Live TV playback on some channels.
There was an extensive thread and troubleshooting i did on their fourms on that.
There was one channel, The Weather Channel, that did this issue every time, no matter what.

I had micro stutter or pauses, and audio would go out of sync.

The attempts to fix it, resulted in the issue happening less or after a longer time, but the dev said it was something with ffmpeg build they use to remux the data stream to the device...and was never fully resolved for me.

At the same time, Channels, and all other apps, the same channel played fine for hours.

I have since fully moved to Channels DVR and it has been pretty smooth and reliable.

I did have some playback issues when I had Tuner Sharing enabled, I disabled that and its been rock solid since. That only affects OTA antenna channels though. If u are having these issues via TVE streams, Tuner Sharing is always on...so maybe something there perhaps.

Hope the devs here and give some further insight.