Option to re-record an already recorded show

It would be nice to have an option to select an existing recording and ask Channels DVR to re-record another future instance of that specific episode or program and replace the original. I have had many instances in which such a feature would have been useful.

In some cases a show is scheduled but is delayed, interrupted, or even ends up not up airing at all in my market, due to an overrun of a live event such as breaking news or sports. Of course the guide data cannot reflect this so the recording appears to have been successful until it is eventually watched.

Another example would be that the show did air but the recording itself is not completely watchable such as in the case of a bad OTA signal. Perhaps there could be an option for recordings which are tagged as "Recording was interrupted" to automatically be rescheduled.

A third instance would be that the show aired and was recorded correctly but the user would prefer to record it from a different channel's broadcast which could be better in quality/resolution or a different version (less lower third ad banners or even a less edited version than in syndication).

I did see that this has been requested before but it's been a while: Feature Request - Re-Record Missed Show

Right now I just make a mental note to try and search for re-airs and it would be great if things could be automated a bit in the future. Thanks for the excellent work on Channels!

1 Like

This is a great idea. I lost the last half of a movie the other day because of a thunderstorm. Now, I can't record another airing. Personally, I'd rather have duplicates than not record.

1 Like

I would absolutely use this all the time. If this is added, I would also like a setting to default to "re-record" if any recording has a problem like "started late", "Interrupted", etc. The situation is that I want to keep the recording I have because its better than nothing, but I would like to get the full recording at some point.

One example this week is many daytime shows were pre-empted by news from the capital. A show that my wife watches every episode of now has 4 recordings of news instead of the show. They will eventually air and she would like to have them when they do, so setting it to re-record would solve this. In other situations like I mentioned, a movie might have lost several minutes in the middle of it and I can watch the movie, but eventually I want to get the corrected one if its available again to re-record. Its very difficult to remember to do this manually.

2 Likes

I just voted for this, too. My use case is that I recorded a few movies that came into Channels via an HDMI encoder. I'm still fine tuning my encoders' settings, and I have some recordings that don't play well on my oldest Apple TV. I think I've fixed the encoder's settings to play nice with all my devices, so, if these movies ever air again, I'd love to automatically re-record them and replace the versions that don't play well everywhere.

1 Like

Agreed and voted. :slight_smile:

I'm with you on this! As a matter of fact, I created a request for this a while back:

1 Like