Original Quality Delivery couple issues

I am on Android FireTV.

Okay. I'm trying to catalog what's happening for folks:

@Michael_Birk: Experiencing a hang and then a crash (this may be a bug in our player not directly related to the Streaming setting, but it will take more investigation to understand)

@frazzxr: Experiencing a hang and eventually the app starts responding again (can you confirm if that is the case or not?)

@Edwin_Perez: Experiencing a hang and then a crash (I'm not seeing this in our crash tracking, but I am seeing it in the diagnostic logs, so we don't have a lot of detail about what is happening, but do see it)

The crashes from @Edwin_Perez that I've seen are the ones that I have the most promise of understanding so far, but we'll keep trying to figure out what's going on here. It's clear the current behavior isn't good.

I only have been able to duplicate the problem when I use Stream and the app is installed on the external storage. It has failed on my FirestickTV Max and on a Chromecast Google TV (although did not crash this time but came back to guide after about 20 sec). I have tested it on my ethernet connected Shield, but it did not have the problem. Stream has been working fine for me when app is installed on the internal storage, so doesn't really cause me a major problem.

Can you see if this is any better?

@eric

The latest Beta seems to have fixed the issue I tested Channels DVR on USB Drive with streaming and had no problem exiting will keep watching this way... Will let you know if it has problems or not.

2 Likes

@eric

The changes are great no problems or crashes ... fast exit ... I submitted diagnostics to show there is no problem.

Thank You

@Edwin_Perez Could you submit diagnostics from that same Android system one more time? There's something I'd like to see after a longer delay.

1 Like

@eric
Diagnostics submitted. No Complaints working great.

PS
Would be nice to get this into Production Release ASAP.

Thanks for this info. It's very crazy how incredibly slow it appears to be for the OS to allow us to delete these files. I'm a little worried this will cause problems in the future, so please let us know if you run into any new strange behaviors around playing and stopping playback.

1 Like

BY OS do you mean windows that is what my server is running on?

Just FYI ....

I have a symlink pointing to the Streaming folder on an SSD.... I am going to Remove the Symlink and move the Streaming folder to the Channels DVR drive and submit diagnostics to see if you see any difference.

Diagnostics submitted.

New beta tested on two Firestick Max's and a Chromecast Google TV. Seems to work perfectly now. Thanks for fixing this.

1 Like

OS = Android

2 Likes

I was complaining Channels DVR didn't work well for me using Original/Direct playback when the app was on my external usb drive. In the process of testing the new beta version, I found out my external usb drive was not working properly. I replaced the drive and now the Direct option works just fine. I have no more pauses or crashes. My network was not at fault and neither was Channels DVR. I will say it again, Channels DVR is the best OTA TV experience ever.

3 Likes

I am unable to test changes. Decided to buy an apple tv 4k. Best channels experience to date.

Not just Channels. I have yet to find an app where the Android TV version is better than the Apple TV version.

(Of course, this only pertains to those apps on both platforms. Also, I do not use every app out there, so I am sure there may those where the Apple version lags. And it shouldn't need to be said, but this is simply my opinion.)

I use Channels DVR t mainly as a backend.

Just my Opinion.

So what are you using for the frontend to watch live TV?

Not to mention that it has the best PQ of any streamer with HDR enabled.

This thread had gone off the rails it has nothing to do with which Client is better some Prefer Apple others Prefer Android.

Lets get back to addressing Original Quality Delivery issues. If you want to start a fight about which is better start a bashing thread which you will find is not allowed.

1 Like