Bit Rate
14,053,497 bits/sec
File Size
929,038,336 bytes
Track #0: MPEG-2 video
1280x720 16:9 yuv420p progressive

Track #1: ATSC A/52A (AC-3)
5.1(side) eng 448kbps

A 1280*720p MPEG-2 stream at 14Mbps?! Whilst the resolution is low, the detail should be pretty fantastic, that’s a really high bitrate.

That’s a progressive 720p video, so no deinterlacing is required. It seems very unlikely that the mpeg2 decoder is at fault, since there’s not much to decoding mpeg2 especially when it’s already progressive.

Your bitrate is quite high as well, so the picture quality should be very good.

Are you sure that your TV is not doing noise reduction or other processing on the video signal? Perhaps it’s only happening on the hdmi input where the Apple TV is plugged in, and not on the cable tv input.

I only see that when I have motion settings turned on. I generally always have those off because of the artifacts that they create.

@ch4545 Were you able to figure out what’s going on?

Hey, thanks for following up. Awesome service.

I put this on the back burner for a while. I actually tested it out one night a few weeks ago though, went through all the settings from the Apple TV to the TV. I’m not sure what I was missing the first time but I got it to look a lot better. Pretty much identical to the cable box. I’ve been meaning to fully move over and watch more than a few minutes, see if the same pixelation or tearing is there during sports before I chimed in. But I think I remember it looking pretty great at the time, can’t imagine having the same issues as before.

When I get the chance, I’ll have to find out exactly what it was.

1 Like