Playback Failed on NVIDIA Shield v9

Thanks good to know.

I thought I would try using adb/fastboot to reflash the Shield back to 8.2.3.
I encountered a problem when the "adb devices" command failed to show the Shield on my Windows 10 PC. I downloaded the driver provided by the link in the instructions and tried updating the driver in "Device Manager" as suggested, but the driver update failed. Any suggestions?

Did you adb connect first, and grant access on the shield?

No. I did not see that in the instructions. I did connect it physically via USB cable.
Just tried: adb connect 192.168.50.11
Got message:
cannot connect to 192.168.50.11:5555: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. (10061)

I used a notebook running Linux Mint to do the downgrade....the instructions worked just as written. But they assume you already know how to enable USB debugging.

When connecting via USB it should be automatically detected (no 'adb connect' required), but did you enable 'Developer Mode' on the shield first (go into the Device preferences, About, and then down at the bottom highlight the 'Build' line and press enter 7 times). Then open developer options and set USB Debug mode. Then reboot with the USB connected (must be the Shield USB port furthest from the HDMI port) and you should get a prompt on the shield to allow the connection.

The other Shield USB port should be connected to a USB keyboard, as you need to interact with the Bootloader menu on the Shield.

Thanks for the reply @john9527.
I did everything you suggested. However the PC does not see the Shield when I enter: adb devices.

So, when I enter the command: fastboot oem unlock
the response is < waiting for any device>

This implies that fastboot does not see the Shield either, so it waits.

Maybe the problem is that I'm using the android sdk I installed a while back from Google.

I tried installing the SDK from NVIDIA put the link given did not respond.

I'm assuming you got the Allow connection prompt on the Shield?

Then on the PC you did
adb reboot bootloader

Do you see the bootloader menu on the Shield? You need the Shield HDMI connected and use separate displays for the Shield and the system you are running adb on.

Then the
fastboot oem unlock

wil give the 'waiting' message, waiting for you to navigate the bootloader output on the Shield to 'Confirm'

At least that's how it went for me.....

I can understand your frustrations, but Nvidia is working on the problem. I got the second patch last night, so please don't be so quick to condem them. I am sure that they are overwhelmed because of this. Now, having said that, I agree that they should have done a much better job of testing it before they released it. Please try to remember that none of us are perfect...we all make mistakes daily. As far as trying to run the server on my Shield, I will wait until the final fix is released as it is running fine on my PC as long as I don't use commercial detection.

Here is what the second hotfix does from the Nvidia forums....

Second HotFix (33.1.0.264 deployed 1/20/2022) :

• [2019 SHIELD all models] Includes Plex Media Server app which resolves issues with external storage
  • Resolves Issues with interlaced content playback
  • Fixes CEC volume control sometimes increments and decrements by 2
  • Remove creation of default Android phone type folders (Ringtones, Downlods, Photos, Movies, etc) added to USB portable storage
  • Update Match Refresh Rate String with Beta in all locations
  • Remove preview thumbnail when taking a screen shot with the menu button
  • Resolves Long press of Brand button on Xbox one controller does not invoke Stadia more than once
  • Resolves IR volume control is disabled when USB DACs are in use

Yes I did get the Allow connection prompt on the Shield.
I then ran: adb reboot bootloader

I do have the HDMI port on the shield connected to a separate monitor and I did see the bootloader menu on the Shield.
I entered: fastboot oem unlock.
The PC showed the message: < waiting for any device>
Neither the PC nor the Shield accepted any input after that.

Do you have a separate USB Keyboard (a USB mouse might work, but I'm not sure) plugged in to the second USB port on the Shield (must be plugged in before rebooting the shield)? The bluetooth shield remote won't work.

I have both, keyboard and mouse (which works btw), connected to the second USB port on the Shield.

Then I'm stumped. You should be able to use one of those to select the 'Confirm' entry on the bootloader dialog, which would then complete the fastboot command on the PC.

Just to double check though....the bootloader doesn't support hotplug, so the USB/keyboard/mouse must be attached before bringing up the bootloader menu.

yes the kb is attached directly

I picked up the Shield because of it capability to run the Channel DVR Server app and the two USB-C ports which enabled me to add two high speed 2-Terabyte SS storage drives. Everything is connected via my Network between my two Homerun tuners through the Network to the Nvidia Shield for my Channels DVR Server.

I am slightly tech savvy but it took me months to get everything working correctly after I got rid of DirectTV.

I am opened to moving to another streaming device that can host the Channel DVR Server.

Does anyone have a solid recommendation for a 4K streaming device that would be a very good replacement.

My current setup outputs the Shield to my 4K AV Receiver which then send video to my 4K TV and Audio to my wall speakers/Sub.

As I said my knowledge is limited but I was able to duplicate my family’s viewing habits when I cut the cord with DirectTV.

If I switch to a new 4K streaming device, I’m hoping for an easier setup after replacement.

Sorry if this off topic with the Shield upgrade but Speedcheetah response got me thinking about replacing the Shield.

The shield is the only “streaming device” that is capable on running the server. And currently that claim is a stretch. Since you have ssd already I would recommend a nuc, or brix. Slap the ssd in there add some ram and install Linux. Keep the shield as a client. There is always raspberry pi 4 also if you want to go budget friendly.

The Android server was recently updated to be able to run on the Chromecast with Google TV. You need a USB-C hub with PD passthrough—and preferably a gigabit ethernet interface, too—but that is another option.

(You need to:

• Install the client app from the Play Store
  • From the Settings > Support menu of the app, you need to install the beta app
  • From the beta app, you need to install the DVR server from the Settings > Support menu.

At least, that's how it used to be. It may have been streamlined since the CCGTV was added for the server.)

Interesting learn something every day. Is the performance similar to the pi then?

I can't say, as I haven't tried it.

But considering how poor nearly all Android-based streaming devices are, I would never consider using one as anything other just a dumb streamer/interface.

1 Like

Can't say I am 100% on Android devices either, but what other choices are there for a small device. Roku doesn't support ChannelsDVR. I hate IOS even more.