Playback pauses (tvOS 11 beta + h264)

Actually, the release notes for tvOS 11 does say “VideoToolbox clients can encode and decode HEVC video bitstreams.”

Also, it couldn’t hurt to just have a setting we can toggle to turn off hardware decoding of H.264.

The temporary workaround is to tvOS 10, which is the latest stable operating system. We don’t have the resources to support buggy OS.

And if this isn’t resolved in the Golden Master of tvOS 11?

tvOS 11 GM will be fully supported and we will resolve this and other bugs however necessary.

We are already tracking this and other beta OS issues with Apple engineers and are confident they will be resolved before the stable release.

I don’t want to jinx it but all seems good with the latest public beta

No, it’s not all good.

Well…
With the update to pb7, I no longer get stuttering issues during recordings.

This thread is not about stuttering.

tvOS 11 beta 9 does do not resolve freeze issue. Still freezes on certain commercials.

tvOS beta 10 still freezes on commercial.

Which commercials and channels are causing the issue? I can try to reproduce locally.

CNN for sure.

Basically all of them, but it really depends on the commercials. It happens pretty often on Animal Planet.

CNN, FoxNews for sure.

Did it all night for me on Food Network.

Does it happen when watching a recording from one of those channels too?

Just tested and verified that it does. I’m uploading the sample now. I just randomly created 6 recordings on channels I’ve seen it on and it happened in the first one on the first commercial section at 4:42-4:46. It basically hard crashes Channels.

Side note - on iOS it plays like VLC, there’s a little jerk (seems like they messed up the commercial and jumped to a different commercial) but playback continues.

Edit to add: Just sent the link to [email protected].

Would it be possible to pass an error code to a handler and then buffer for several milliseconds then resume? I assume you are using Swift but I am uncertain if the logs or crash triggers an error? Have you had the opportunity to replicate the freeze issue? If so I would be interested in understanding your code work and how you manipulate VideoToolBox with a buffer skip and pass-though.

iOS 11 beta?