Playon Alternative

I've been using Streamfab with the Amazon downloader. Initial cost is pricey, but they provide frequent updates to keep up with the provider changes. So far, the titles I've downloaded have been 1080p video quality, high bit-rate and 6 channel audio. This program also downloads CC stream. A 2 hour movie takes about 5-7 minutes to download and process.

1 Like

Oh sorry, I failed to notice the negative sign.
Makes sense now. :grin:

Do any of these services allow you schedule programs to record/download in the future? I know PlayOn Home does, but it requires Windows, and since it records directly to the hard drive, I assume it would need to be running 24/7, or at least during the hours new programs would run. I have a Mac and RPi4. My problem with all of the different streaming services is forgetting what I've been watching on what service. Would be nice to setup something similar to Channels passes where it just starts recording/downloading when a new season or episode airs, rather than needing to remember to look for stuff. "Continue Watching" that most of these services have is lacking.

Playon Home is only one i know if that does that.

There are programs that seek out new episodes via bit torrent and automatically download. But that is a discussion for a different forum.

1 Like

Which of these that comes with subtitles when downloading a video?

2 Likes

I use PlayOn Cloud from time to time and it records the closed captions fine. Of course this could also be dependent on the service it is recording from. I mainly record from Paramount+ with PlayOn Cloud. I think the rule is if the source has the CC or subs, the recording will have them.

I have been using Audials 2022 for the past month. I like it much better than Playon for it's video quality. It also give the option to download or search for subtitles. I haven't seen any issues so far with them.

It has some quirks, but mostly works fine for me. Those downloaders are way more expensive than I am willing to pay. I would otherwise just watch the shows in their native app.

1 Like

Streamfab recently added that feature to be used on certain cites with live programming.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried downloading and scheduling an HBO show. First issue was I got a message that due to DRM the max I could download is 720p. Fine. But then it crashes while downloading. Guess I'm stuck w PlayOn Cloud for now.

I've not tried HBO. I've only used Amazon and Netflix. Also, I tested 3 free downloads on Tubi to see how it handled removing commercials and it did very well. With Amazon, I've signed up for the 7 day free trials for Starz, Showtime and Paramount and downloaded several titles before canceling the free trial.

I did try Anystream and found it to work well, but was reluctant to make the purchase due to their somewhat sketchy payment methods.

Anystream accepts credit cards. You get 10% if you pay in crypto.

That being said. A company that makes quasi-legal software is never going to be reputable.

Might i sugest Privacy.com? I use them for a lot of online purchases. Reduces risk of fraud. I make single use online credit cards.

What are y’all using currently? Since, the DRM issues for NBC channels etc.

I had no problem with payment for AnyStream.

1 Like

Curious how long you have used this service and how well does it work? I have thought about before, but wasn't too sure about it at the price for it.

Since January works great Audio is 5.1 or greater. Takes 5 minutes to download a full Movie... About 30 minutes 1 hour to download a 23-episode season of a show.

This s what is supported by anystream USA. ....

1 Like

I have been using Anystream for over a year now

*Amazon: Works perfect. 1080p. Good audio bit rate. You can revord anythingbyou can stream on prime. Including subscriptions within prime (ex: amc, paramount, britbocetc)

*Paramount: works 90% as good. Just D/L it through amazon

*Netflix: Works perfect

*HBO: HBO works good. But HBO downloads in HEVC format

*Hulu/Disney: Most stuff is stuck at 720P and audio bitrates suck.

*Peacock: No support at all. None whatsoever

I love any steam. I want to get streamfab for Peacock/disney. I just havent yet.

I occasionally use Anystream when i can reset my PC and restart the free trial. It does work well with Netflix.

I mostly use Streamfab with Amazon.
Streamfab is expensive unless you buy the full lifetime bundle. Some apps dont work as well as others, but ive had good luck with Amazon. Usually 1080p and 5.1 audio. And now you can download up to 100 shows per day which is helpful if you want to get several seasons for your library.

Anystream just upped the DL limit to 500. It constantly resets. Making it infinite

@jgpeacock
How does streamfab do with disney, hulu,peacock.

Does it get 1080 with good audio bitrate?

I dont know about Hulu. Peacock does provide some at 1080 and 5.1. Disney is 720 and stereo only.

1 Like

Just FYI, I have been using StreamFab and love it, however, the scheduling doesn't work with Peacock. Each time you want to download something from that service, you will need to sign into the site through the application, find what you want, then download it. The scheduled downloads for the other services work great for me, so far. I've noticed most Hulu is 1080P with 5.1 audio.

2 Likes