PLEX Playback with Comskip

I am using Channels DVR to record broadcast stations from LOCAST and it works great. The recordings integrate into PLEX without a problem. I like the idea of using PLEX for playback since it has apps for all devices and works great remotely.

The PLEX DVR now has the ability to mark (instead of delete) commercials. When I playback with these recordings with the PLEX, it skips commercials. I asked on the PLEX Forum, how to implement this for other recordings and was told it is only available for files recording with PLEX DVR. That does not seem correct.

Just wondering if anyone here has a way to playback Channels DVR recordings in PLEX with comskip?

Thanks

I'm not sure if Plex supports sidecar EDL files, but if so, select the EDL export option in the DVR settings. It will save a copy of the commercial markers in an EDL alongside the recording where Plex can find it.

I use MCEBuddy to read the Channels DVR recording and EDL file and insert Chapter markers in the file. I take the file that MCEBuddy outputs and Plex picks that up. Then you can use the Chapters in Plex to skip commercials as needed.

Don't you have to convert the file to MKV or MP4 to insert the chapters ? You make it sound that you just insert the chapters in the TS File ?

I do a no-transcode convert which basically changes the container type and leaves the video at original quality. The only downside as you can guess is that it creates a duplicate file. After the video is in Plex I go back an delete it from Channels.

Post your workflow?

Quick and dirty version. Some assembly required.

1. Record show with Channels. Make sure option is set for Channels to export EDL file.
  2. Point MCEBuddy at Channels Recordings folder
  3. Set MCEBuddy to read EDL file and insert chapter markers without cutting
  4. Set MCEBuddy to output to a different folder
  5. Use Sonarr to track TV shows. Point Sonarr to your Output folder for MCEBuddy to import the show
  6. Set Sonarr's output folder to your folders that Plex Monitors. Turn on Sonarr's Plex notifications so it can push the file immediately.
  7. Plex scans and indexes file.
  8. Delete recording from Channels.
  9. Use Plex to watch everything, using chapter markers to skip commercials without removing any.

I can post a more detailed workflow at a later point, but this should be enough to figure out if you poke at each of the tools.

2 Likes

Two questions...

How long does it take once the comskip is ran to complete this process on your system?

What do you do about shows that are unreliable with comskip?

I use Sonarr/SABnzbd/Deluge/Plex for my main recorded viewing sitting on a seedbox while Channels is my backup if I want to watch a show before my RSS feed on Sonarr grabs it. I'm concerned that I will be unhappy with the output version from comskip. The shows that download through Sonarr with my RSS feeds are free of commercials to begin with.

Any shows I'm interested in I'm able to record so I don't have any thoughts on how it compares. I always do all the processing and MCEBuddy overnight so when I wake up in the morning, I just check that everything imported and delete from Channels.

Any show that's unreliable with Comskip or misses commercials, I just manually fast forward. It's not that big of a deal for me.

I never heard of Sonarr before. When I looked it up, it said " Sonarr is a PVR for Usenet and BitTorrent users." But you are just using it to monitor a directory and to move it to the PLEX directory and notify PLEX. Correct?

Correct. One of the features of Sonarr is that it tracks TV shows you like and knows when they air. It can then monitor a directory for that particular show file and move it where you specify. I use Sonarr to keep my folders organized under Plex.

Are you using the PLEX recommended structure
/TV Shows/ShowName/Season 02/ShowName – s02e17 – Optional_Info.ext
or just dumping them in one big directory?

The recommended structure. Sonarr takes care of renaming them and moving them where they should be.

@thejudge22 Would you mind sharing a screenshot of your MCEBuddy configuration for:

3. Set MCEBuddy to read EDL file and insert chapter markers without cutting

There are a lot of options and I haven't used the tool before.

Thanks!

1 Like

Set ad remover to "Yes (Use Markers) and check "Only Detect Ads". Then click Expert settings and check the box to add chapters.

1 Like