Potential New User with A Few Questions

I am a former Tablo user and you'll love this solution with TVE 100% better. These guys roll out updates all the time and are always innovating. Tablo has good tech support, but these guys are great.

I'll let everyone else answer your specifics, but great experience on my AppleTV 4K. Welcome!

1 Like

Trying to figure it all out and appreciate the information! Why can’t you get locals with TVE? I like that FIOS doesn’t have many channels locked down with DRM but they require a two year contract - not happening. But Optimum has far too many channels locked down with DRM to use HDHR. Thoughts?

LOCAST is only $5 per month donation and you get a lot of local channels if you are in the right city. That is what I do and happy with the results. Of course using a antenna works as well if in a good location. I actually have an indoor antenna that works pretty well but prefer LOCAST. I am in LA.

As you are a current Roku user, I assume that you are considering scrapping Roku and going Apple. I am a cord cutter who likes to experiment. Below is a description of my current configuration. One of the major considerations was ease of use for my wife, Tablo, Sling TV & Roku satisfied this condition.

Dell Vostro
Win 10 Pro
Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
2 TB HDD fo r DVR
Ethernet connection
Like Tablo This older computer does the transcoding for Channels DVR .
I tried Plex and several other DVR software packages before installing Channels DVR.

Linksys EA7500 up to 150 Mbps internet

HDHomerun Connect 2 tuner connects to media server (Channels DVR)
Ethernet connection

Tablo 2 tuner
Ethernet connection
1 TB HDD
The Tablo OTA DVR is a surprisingly simple device. It's a TV tuner box with transcoding
hardware built in, and software that makes recording OTA content as simple as plugging in a USB hard drive. Commercial skip works well.

2- Roku 3
Ethernet connection
Channels DVR app
Tablo app

Tablo is used as primary OTA DVR
Channels DVR is used as backup (tuners 3 & 40 recording

Tablo works well and so does commercial skip with Roku

Channels DVR also works well with Roku just hard to fast forward through commercials. Laptop works well and commercial skip is easy. If the PC skip could be implemented for Roku it would be a viable commercial product. By not supporting the Roku/ android platform channels DVR is a niche product. Channels DVR is a product that could compete with Tablo, TIvo, Channel Master and others.