QNAP time incorrect after DST change

Thanks for the update… I may not have caught this otherwise. The odd thing is all of my Sunday shows recorded correctly, but starting on Monday the recording times were off by an hour. I had my server set to update every 7 days as well (I’m guessing this was set by default)… any chance something got borked when the time server was pinged setting the clock back an hour even though it shouldn’t have been?

Agreed, Sunday recorded correctly, things broke Monday. Very weird. At 11:35 Sunday night things were still recording correctly. My next recording wasn’t until Monday afternoon and it was off by an hour. Pressed the update button and things seem to be back to being synced up. Hope it sticks.

I have been meaning to reply on this thread. I had the same problem also.

It’s not an NTP problem. If QNAP were actually using NTP, it still wouldn’t be an NTP problem as NTP serves UTC time. And the OS is keeping time in UTC (unless they f***ed that up too) and is responsible for converting to local time when needed.

It appears QNAP sets the clock at the interval the user specified by using ntpdate. Ntpdate is in no way an NTP server keeping time. It’s a crude program that was deprecated over a decade ago (or more) that simply steps the clock to the time returned by the server specified on the command line. If you do actually run the NTP server application QNAP supplies, the idiots at QNAP synchronize the clock to local—that is, they synchronize the clock to itself—that is, they DO NOT synchronize the clock!

If you search QNAP’s forum, there have been complaints for years about QNAP’s childish attempts to keep time. Nothing has changed. And, it seems from a post here, 4.3 isn’t going to help.

I intend to dump this NAS (I don’t need the aggravation), but I haven’t decided what to replace it with. Probably a NUC or a Synology.

1 Like

So far I’ve liked everything about the QNAP except this. Maybe if everyone on here complains to them they will do something about it.

Update: I posted about it here https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=104100